pH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yeti

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay so I discovered something today when doing a water test.

my tester has 2 solutions: one low and one high range...

Ive always used the low and it comes out to 7.6, just for kicks i tried it on the high range and it came out as 8.2! so... which is it 7.6 OR 8.2???? this is confusing stuff!

Is the 7.6 the top end of the low range? Is the 8.2 the bottom of the high range? I can't remember but I think the high range starts at 8.0 and the low range tops out at 7.6. Which ever one is not the "endpoint" of the test should be the correct one. It may also be between those if you don't have a way to test for say 8.0.

the 7.6 is the low and the 8.2 is the high
Low range is from 6.0-7.6
High range is from 7.4 to 8.8

Your PH is 8.2. You are maxing the low range card but getting a reading on the high range. Therefore the 8.2 is your PH.

Not really. What kind of fish are in the tank? What else is in there such as what type of substrate which may be buffering the pH. pH is not that big of a factor in an aquarium. Most people will say that a stable pH is better than the "correct" pH.

the substrate is just some aquarium gravel i picked up at wally world.. the fish in there right now are tetras an angel a pleco and a molly.. there will be more fish in the future but right now thats all I have

yea, just make sure it is staying stable. if your fish are happy and healthy, i wouldn't worry too much about it.

well I dont know if its stable ive been reading the wrong card with the wrong solution all along.. i will keep an eye on it, tomorrow i am gonna do a large PWC and then do another full test and see where i stand.

You're fine at 8.2. Don't mess with pH down chemicals. They just cause your reading to fluctuate. If you have a reading of 8.2, chances are it is going to be stable. Test the hardness and you'll know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom