Ph too high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio8

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just tested my tank to see what its ph is. I was just curious and didn't test it because my fish were acting sick or strange. According to the API test, the ph is 8.2. I also tested my water and the ph in that is 8.0. I have Guppies and Zebra Danios and I want them to be comfortable. Is my ph too high for these fish? They aren't acting sick or weird and they are eating. Should I try to lower my ph? Thanks for any input!

Hello, messing w/pH is dangerous, pH swings can kill or worse cripple a fish. They will adapt to a pH that is lower or higher easier than survive swings caused by most methods used to correct it. Most fish nowadays are not wild caught unless stated by distributor. Most have probably been born & breed in waters between 6-9ph. Proper acclimation to your tank will insure fish's safety.
So long to short I personally wouldn't try to change pH unless it's below 6, above 9, wild caught or required for breeding. Hope this helps!!!!!

Well, the Guppies are in a community tank and I am hoping they will have babies. I understand the survival rate for Guppy babies is small but still. Will my Guppies still have fry?

Back
Top Bottom