Picked up some Denson's barbs !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went to petco today to apply for a job (I think I might get it, yay!) but I also had to browse the fish selection of course. In one of the tanks with bala sharks I saw some Denison's barbs and flipped out. They only had two, and I bought both of them for 9$ a piece. I seriously doubt they knew what they were selling haha! They were labeled "two stripe sharks". I believe they were originally selling them for 12.99, but that's still a great deal for these guys! I'll be hunting down three or four more to complete a school, but for now my pair is pretty happy and shoaling with my Odessa Barbs.
I was (and still am) worried about them becoming food for my green sunfish. He chased them around for a bit, but they are faster and can fit in good hiding spots, but I hope they grow fast.
Has anyone kept these guys before? I'd love some tips about them if you have.

On a slightly related note, petco is having their dollar per gallon sale from now until mid-september!

Wow, that is really cheap!!
and just think, if you get a job there you'll probably get an employee discount too!

Nice score on those Denisons!

My Petco had 3 then went back two days later and found 1 ok, 1 with what I think is ick, 1 DEAD!!!!!:facepalm: I've seen dead Barbs in tanks before and feel a bit bad... but this time I was pissed!

I just think they are gorgeous fish! My second favorite next to my Green Barbs.

The best deal on Denison Barbs was about 2-3 months ago when I got one from Petsmart ... they were charging $6.99! BUT if you had a Petsmart card ... it rang up just over $3.00!! I bought the last one they had .. haven't seen them there since.

Although they can be expensive ... I find they're not anymore demanding than TigerBarbs. They are VERY energetic and if your tank is large enough ... 55gal or more a school of 5 can be very entertaining. My 3 constantly pick and chase each other ... but nothing bad.

jcolon said:
Nice score on those Denisons!

My Petco had 3 then went back two days later and found 1 ok, 1 with what I think is ick, 1 DEAD!!!!!:facepalm: I've seen dead Barbs in tanks before and feel a bit bad... but this time I was pissed!

I just think they are gorgeous fish! My second favorite next to my Green Barbs.

The best deal on Denison Barbs was about 2-3 months ago when I got one from Petsmart ... they were charging $6.99! BUT if you had a Petsmart card ... it rang up just over $3.00!! I bought the last one they had .. haven't seen them there since.

Although they can be expensive ... I find they're not anymore demanding than TigerBarbs. They are VERY energetic and if your tank is large enough ... 55gal or more a school of 5 can be very entertaining. My 3 constantly pick and chase each other ... but nothing bad.

Good deal. I'm jealous, but I don't have room for them in my tank anyhow.

Hope you can find some more to complete the school.

Good deal. I'm jealous, but I don't have room for them in my tank anyhow.

Hope you can find some more to complete the school.

I'm going to keep it at 3 Denisons for now ... but I am considering buying one more. Don't think it'll be from the Petco though.:nono:

It's funny actually. I spent $30 on my first Denison and it was the only one in the tank for about a month ... no problems! He was as happy as a clam(y)

Then I saw the Petsmart sale, bought one for $3 but then felt I would have too many "large" fish (had an RTS and a Blue Gourami ... all can get up to 6 inches) so I returned it the next day ... plus, for some reason, my 1st Denison didn't like his new friend at all.

About 3 weeks go by, the bully Gourami was rehomed to an LFS then later found my second Denison at a Petland for $15 ... a perfect purchase to spend some of my $25.00 B-day gift card. This time my 1st Denison got along with it. About 1 week later ... go back into Petsmart where I see a lonely Denison begging to be purchased. Yep, again at the $3 price, so I did ... don't know if it was the original Petsmart one I bought:blink:.

Back
Top Bottom