Picky Platies Won't Eat Much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredmertz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had platies in my tank for a week and they seem very very picky when it comes to eating.

They will only eat the Omega One flakes. They won't touch seaweed, tubifex worms or any of the other "omnivore" frozen cubes that I bought.

They don't even seem to recognize that stuff as food. When there are flakes in the water they will approach snails before realizing they are not food for them, but they don't even approach the worms/seaweed/algae, etc.

I know it is important to give them a varied diet and I am trying, but....

Some fish take time getting used to other foods.

You have to remember the breeder/supplier feeds them one thing then the store feeds them one thing. They don't get much variety.

Slowly introduce new foods by fasting a day or two then adding a little of the new food. They will eventually learn it's not bad and will eat it. Just make sure if they don't eat it the first few times to clean it up so the tank doesn't get foul.

My JDs wouldn't eat frozen beefheart because all they were used to was cichlid pellets. I fasted them for two days and mixed it with tank water to melt, after a few feeding they couldn't get enough of it. Now when they see me coming to the tank with their "cup" they go nuts.

Agreed, My BETTA took forever to start eating. I just waited for awhile and then slowly added the food in. He readily accepted as soon as he found it wasn't that bad tasting :)

I love this site! Thanks so much for the advice. So fasting them for 2 days is OK? There are 4-5 fry in the tank (I bought a preggers platy) -- will that be ok for them>

I do not recommend fasting fry. Depending on how big they are...
If they are too small, you can just wait until they get bigger to introduce everyone to the new foods. How big/old are they? are they in the same tank as the parents?

I do not recommend fasting fry. Depending on how big they are...
If they are too small, you can just wait until they get bigger to introduce everyone to the new foods. How big/old are they? are they in the same tank as the parents?

They are less than a week old, as I only bought the platies last Sunday. I am not trying to breed them -- was unintended and I wouldn't have a second tank to put them in any way.

Ok, can you get a breeding net? I keep my fry in breeding nets so I can feed them more often than the other fish. :) Otherwise, if you fast the other fish, they will likely get hungry and eat the fry.

I'll just hold off on the fasting. How long until they get to an inch or so?

Depends on how often you feed them, what the temperature is, ect. I think my platys took about 2 months to reach an inch, but I do not remember perfectly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom