Pictus vs ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronBurr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

My new 55g has ick. This is day 4 of treatment using super ick (my usual go to). I've half the dose and upped the temp to 82 (as directed). Plus vacuumin gravel Every other day but it's getting worse. And the pictus are looking skinny....

I have pictus, clown loaches and clown barbs in the tank. If I up the temp to the 85 needed to kill ick will it harm the pictus? It's pretty far outside there normal range....

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually treatment is one or the other. Is it just malachite green as the ingredients?

Yes, I would switch to high heat if that's a better treatment for the scaleless fish.

I'm not sure. It just says "API Super Ick Cure contains an ingredient, Malachite green, which causes discoloration in the aquarium water" but I threw out the box already.

I've used it before on scaled fish to good success. But ive had to half the dose because of the scaleless fish.

Might try "Ick Attack" it's herbal, non-toxic to fish and inverts. My favorite parasite med is Coppersafe. Rid Ick is another product endorsed by many on AA. Good luck.

Water changes! And lots of vacuuming. I'd up the vacuuming it sounds bad. Maybe vacuum in morning and night or at least every night. And extra air bubbler.

Yes, I would switch to high heat if that's a better treatment for the scaleless fish.

I'm not sure. It just says "API Super Ick Cure contains an ingredient, Malachite green, which causes discoloration in the aquarium water" but I threw out the box already.

I've used it before on scaled fish to good success. But ive had to half the dose because of the scaleless fish.

Either treatment will work ime but both carry risks. Probably known but some thoughts:-

Heat speeds up the cycle and the white spot doesn’t reproduce at 86F (as long as no cold spots in tank) but that often means it gets worse before it gets better (and extra water flow is needed to aerate water for lower O2 / damaged gills). Secondary bacterial infections more possible. So imo need to catch it early for this method.

MG will work (perhaps a little slower by itself) with the usual risk these meds are trying to kill the parasite before the fish and they readily get soaked up by organics / carbon. Deactivates very quickly. If fish survive first few days seem to be ok with it so half-dosing to start anyways could be useful. Then slightly higher dosing to more normal dosing - watching for rapid gill movement (panting).

Or as V suggested, swap to a different med (med options more limited at shop over here).

I have done both together over summer but it was a shock to them. Cottonmouth struck shortly after so that wasn’t a fun summer.

Problem is treating once on fish as many cures are then ineffective (ie have to wait until cyst bursts and it becomes free-swimming in water).

Salt will work but more suggested for colder-water fish like goldfish.

Triple sulpha or metronidazole will also work, albeit slowly and will kill it off where on fish.

Here, I’d continue on with present method (equally you could swap to heat method) and would add triple sulpha (either method).

I had one or two spots survive at high heat and meds for over a week so can be persistent when trying to treat for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll increase the amount of gravel vacuums I'm doing, and keeping trying to medicate. And I'll look into some of the ones you guys recommend.

I really appreciate all the help, Here's hoping.

So this is just an update in case any future people come across this thread.

I continued to do the half dose with the API super ick. Because the ick was so bad and the pictuse were getting lethargic I started to vaccum gravel twice a day, making sure the hit the locations the pictus and clown loaches like the hide.

After a few days I noticed improvement but continued treatment. A few days after that and there are only a few spots and everyone seems to have more energy so I’ve dropped the vacuuming to once a day but continued to treat. I suspect in another two days there will be no spots. I will still treat for a few days after that to ensure it has not survived in the gravel. I think I only lost a few of my clown barbs, since I think they were the carriers.

The only down side is I might have un-cycled my tank. But that would still be better than losing the tank to ick. Hopefully this thread is useful to someone in the future.

And thanks everyone for the advice!

Good job Aaron. Just continue with your WC's and gravel vacs. It usually doesn't take long for a once established tank to bounce back.

Back
Top Bottom