Pitbull pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They tend to do that when they are scared or alarmed. They like to be in a group with other pitbull plecos or also they like to be with corys

They run on the smaller side I don't believe they get any bigger then 6''. But they are great fish with personalities. But sometimes they get skiddish with the light on.

Pitties only get to like 3 inches max, but they are usually just a little bit bigger than on oto. Full grown, mine are about 2 inches each. They do like groups. 3 is suggested, but I have a pair and they are fine together. I do plan on getting a third though as soon as the store has them in stock. I have never had mine dig or burrow at all, but I that doesn't mean that they don't. They typically only hang out with corys if they do not have any of their own kind to chill with.

Pitbull Pleco
Alternative Name(s): Goby Plec
Scientific Name(s): Parotocinclus jumbo
Category: Tropical
Difficulty:
Maximum Size: 6cms
Minimum Tank Volume: 70 litres
Minimum Tank Size: 30 x 12 x 12 inches
Water Temperature Range: 20-26°C
Water pH Range: 6.5-7.0
Water Hardness Range: 5-15 dGH
General Information: A very characteristic little fish, gets on with most other fish of about its own size and smaller. Ideal for the smaller tank where larger plec species are not recommended. Colour can change dependant on substrate colour, generally ranging from medium to dark grey, with some greenish and golden shades.
Tank Requirements: Preferably a planted aquarium with plenty of shaded areas in which to hide during the day. Better if 2 or more are kept or it will group together with Cory's. When scared or alarmed will attempt to bury itself, so a soft substrate like sand is advisable.
Diet Requirements: Scavenger. Algae & Algae Wafers, vegatables, catfish pellets. You will be pleased to hear does not eat your prized and pampered aquarium plants.
Compatibility: Lives well in a community tank with smaller occupants such as Danios and other colder temperature species.
Recommendations: Best kept in groups. Preferably 1:1 M:F. Low current is advisable.
Common Problems:
Similar Species:
Sexing: Males have longer pelvic fins, the tip of which extends beyond the origin of the anal fin, the urogenital papilla is positioned just after the anal opening in males.
Breeding: Sandy bottom, a lot of bogwood & plants. No lights. Temp 25c. Weekly 50% water changes - cold water, dropping temp to 20c. Eggs laid on glass, hatch after 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom