Planning a shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finntastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I have been planning a custom made tank for a long time now and I've finally somewhat settled on size, live stock, sponge filter, heater, substrate, not yet light but I haven't got into that yet, possibly co2, and not yet plants plants but I will plan those once I get y'alls opinion on layout.

Here are my two layout plans that I can't decide which one.

1. Bamboo forest - the tank will be 36" long, 11.75" deep, and 12" tall. This calculates to 22 gallons. On one side it will have a bamboo forest (bamboo will be out of water partially since it is simi-aquatic) with a sand waterfall hide inside a peice of dead bamboo, I will have black aqua soil as substrate leading down a slope with various small rocks a river of white sand leading down from the sand waterfall. Various small plants will be placed around rocks and some sort of carpeting plant will be at the base of the slope. The tank will be stocked with 2 Bamboo shrimp, a school of either CPD's or phoenix rasboras, green shrimp, cherry shrimp, Nerite snails, and Thai micro crabs.

2. Cliff top Jungle - the tank will be 36" long, 11.75" deep, and 10" tall. This calculates to be around 18 gallons (18.3 to be exact). It will have three rocks stick out of the water, largest in the middle and on these rocks will be terrestrial moss, orchids, bromeliads, and possibly small ferns. Underwater it will have several smaller stones to support the larger ones and will have some sort of carpeting plant in around them with a few larger species as well while in the back will be taller plants. Substrate will be brown aqua soil and will be sloped down on the front, left, and right sides of the rocks. Tank will be stocked with some kubotai rasboras, chocolate shrimp, Golden bee shrimp, and either a vampire shrimp or a panther crab.

If you guys could state your opinion that'd be great and help out a little too since this will be my first shrimp tank and I actually am preparing way ahead for a ton of work and money spend (wooo). This tank will likely be set up late this year or sometime next year but I'm swimming into a new world and I need to plan way ahead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I didn't measure it exactly, I wanted to grab it as it would have been a great tank for all kinds of things, always wanted to do a long bookshelf style Betta condo!!! Great for shrimp or SW Goby or frags. I bet it is gone already this morning.

Are you building it with glass or acrylic?

I didn't measure it exactly, I wanted to grab it as it would have been a great tank for all kinds of things, always wanted to do a long bookshelf style Betta condo!!! Great for shrimp or SW Goby or frags. I bet it is gone already this morning.

Are you building it with glass or acrylic?

A loach tank would also be really nice with lots of hillstreams

My friend builds acrylic tanks but doesn't have pieces that long and acrylic can get pricy so I will most likely be doing it out of glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the stock for #1 I am a sucker for plant to grow out of the tank, like mosses and ferns. There is an awesome tank you might like to see, I will check if I can find the old thread link for it.

Why don't you just get a 33 or 40l??? Custom tanks are $$$$. Unless you have a ton of cash to burn

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why don't you just get a 33 or 40l??? Custom tanks are $$$$. Unless you have a ton of cash to burn

I'm trying to set this one flush with a bookshelf o' mine (it'll go on top). I actually know where some pretty cheap glass is and apart from that I'll need aquarium safe glue and have it be able to hold water that's basically it

Crafting a tank takes a little more. Check out mr aqua bookshelf tanks

Mr. Aqua apparently has discontinued several types including the really cool 33G. Which may be too tall/big for your bookshelf. Though they are possibly still available in stocks at some retailers.

Back
Top Bottom