plant advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brothergc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greatings !
I have a 20 gallon long tank and have reciently started to get it going . I have a funnex planted plus for lighting , and am using eco complete .
What I am looking for are ideas on good plants to get that would not be too demanding , or overtake my small setup. Not realy looking for "carpet style" plants IE dwarf baby tears or hairgrass
Most of what I see in petshops are green plants and some green is good but all green is boring. Is their any plants say with some yellow or red that would fit my aquarium ?

Greatings !
I have a 20 gallon long tank and have reciently started to get it going . I have a funnex planted plus for lighting , and am using eco complete .
What I am looking for are ideas on good plants to get that would not be too demanding , or overtake my small setup. Not realy looking for "carpet style" plants IE dwarf baby tears or hairgrass
Most of what I see in petshops are green plants and some green is good but all green is boring. Is their any plants say with some yellow or red that would fit my aquarium ?

With your lighting and substrate you have an ideal environment to grow quite a few plants. I'll list off some foreground, mid ground, and background plants that would thrive in your setup.

Foreground:
Dwarf Sag
Dwarf Chain Sword
Star repens

Mid ground:
Vesuvius Sword
Crypt Wendi
Anubias (all varieties)
Java Fern
Tiger Lotus
Cardinal Plant

Background:
Italian Vallisneria
Corkscrew Vallisneria
Wisteria
Water Sprite
Rotala Indica
Myrio

These plants I listed are just a few of many potential options for you just to get your search started. I would recommend doing your own research to find the list of plants that you like the best. There are countless plants that would do awesome in your setup and I couldn't possibly list them all here. Good luck and I hope that this list helps! (y)

That's a good list Dallas provided. I have almost the exact same set up: the only one I'd add to his list is Ludwigia repens for the background. Mine grows so much that I have to trim it almost weekly.

For non-green, the ludwigia will turn orange-pinkish as it gets close to the lights. And red Tiger lotus would make a great centerpiece plant.

Back
Top Bottom