Plant changing colour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceTheNoob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

I've had these planted in my tank for a few weeks now. I THINK they're Rotala Rotundifolia but I can't quite remember (silly me not taking notes before I discarded the packaging).
I bought them a little worse for ware because they weren't kept in water when I bought them and they looked a little pathetic with some dead leaves. I haven't removed these yet, might sound silly but I don't know if I should or not!

Recently they've begun to sprout roots from the stems and the top leaves are turning a bit brown. Is this normal or are they starting to die? They're planted in Substrate below the gravel and I fertilise weekly with Tropica Premium Nutrition.

I've never had a planted tank before so it might sound like a dim question. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 163197178284968138576651228250.jpg
    163197178284968138576651228250.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 22
Your plant identification looks good to me.

Aquarium plants are cultivated emersed. ie not fully underwater. They have ready access to CO2 in this state and grow much quicker, making them more commercially attractive. You take that plant and immerse it fully in the water, cutting off the plentiful CO2 it is used to and it has to transition from an emersed to immersed state. Leaf melt is common, and the time you have been running your tank isnt long enough to tell if you are having issues with the plant. New growth should be tolerant of its new growing conditions. Are you seeing any new leaf growth?

The other thing it could be, is that particular plants leafs can go red if kept under sufficient light. Is it leaf melt (brown and dying), or healthy red colouration?

Yes there has been new leaf growth! The only leaves that seem to have been changing colour are the ones at the top, closest to the LED light. Now you mention it, the colouration is more orangy, so it might just be the beginnings of that red colour!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom