Plant ID + Possibly Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJurgelewicz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off, I got this plant at Petsmart (Only Pet store near me) and it was healthy then. I am looking for answers as to what it is.

2012-01-09 19.40.11.jpg

2012-01-09 19.40.20.jpg

However, after about 2 weeks in my tank it looks worse and worse everyday.

It is a 26 gallon bow front. There was salt in the tank before, 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons. Although I have started removing that. So far 8 gallons were removed, and replaced with out salt. Planning to do another 8 gallons tomorrow.

I have tried both an Aqueon Full Spectrum bulb and Aqueon Floral Max bulb, neither seemed to make much difference.

I feed the plant Aqueon Plant Food, half the recommended weekly dosage, but twice a week.

Looking for a plant ID and any suggestion to help me save this plant.

Can't tell you what it is, but I can tell you that keeping the roots in the wood wrapped tightly in that green stuff isn't good for anything long term, I had the same problem but took it out and the plant survived...

What green stuff? The grass looking stuff? It all came together like that in the wood. I like the look in the wood, are there plants with smaller roots that would grow in there? I am new to planted tanks.

KJurgelewicz said:
What green stuff? The grass looking stuff? It all came together like that in the wood. I like the look in the wood, are there plants with smaller roots that would grow in there? I am new to planted tanks.

The wood is drilled out with a hole saw to keep the plant in there they stuff green stuff in there, so the roots have no room to grow. There are plants that would surround the wood overtime such as java moss, the hole is just small enough for a moss ball to sit over it, you could turn the moss ball every few days but I don't know if that is even necessary maybe someone can chime in on that

KJurgelewicz said:

You could use a moss to cover the wood.. Basically they stuff the roots in the wood with the same stuff they use to pot them. I have been told its no good for them.

The plant looks like a dracaena plant, which are house plants. I think you should take it out of the aquarium and plant it in soil and enjoy it there:D. But really I'm pretty sure it's a house plant...

I think that is a white ribbon plant. It's typically not an aquatic plant. Some say it works but some say it doesn't.

Your plant isn't aquatic. If its not aquatic, then it'll die in water. Simple as that. Just take it out before it fouls your water and get rid of it or plant it somewhere.

Ok, plant is out. Looked up white ribbon pictures and it looks like that was correct.

If I want to plant another plant in the same wood because I like the look, other then moss, is there a plant that has small roots and would grow in the wood ok?

Yep, it was a white ribbon plant. I got those from PetCo too. I have actaully bought a few of them before another source told me they were not truly aquatic. I HATE that. I actually still have a few that have lasted for about 6n months and are still ok, but others just died off within a few months.
I agree that anubias or java fern would work well. :)

Back
Top Bottom