Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogurako

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got some plants from a club member but I don't remember what they are. Does the plant in picture 2 need to be planted in substrate or is it something I can attach to a rock?

Attachments

• image-1224848318.jpg
    image-1224848318.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 81
  • image-335672607.jpg
    image-335672607.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 81
The first plant looks like it could be Limnophilia sessaflora, and the second looks like a Windelov Java fern originated by Tropica, which can be attached to a rock like a regular variety of Java fern

Gillie said:
The first is watersprite, it's in rough shape but it will come back nicely and the second is as BillD said a Wendelov java fern.

The watersprite got a bit beat up cause he just pulled it out of giant floating clump. I think he also said it doesn't do well in high ph.

Your Plants ID'd

Hello Mog...

Your Indian Fern (Water Sprite) on the left will do much better if it's floated. Even though it can be planted. It really doesn't look very good, but it might recover if you get it closer to the light and dose some good liquid ferts.

The other looks like a variety of Java fern I have in one of my tanks. I believe this particular kind is called "Microsorium pteropus "Tropica". It looks good. Apparently, it likes your particular tank conditions.

I think ferns do better attched to porous driftwood rather than lava rock, but that has worked best for me.

Just one "old fishkeeper's" opinion.

B

Water sprite will do good planted as well, you just need to dose the water column since it retrieves nutrient from the water.

Besides the plants in the pictures I have broad and narrow leaf java ferns what would be a good liquid fert for them?

I use API LeafZone, but I am also running a paintball for co2

Besides the plants in the pictures I have broad and narrow leaf java ferns what would be a good liquid fert for them?

Hello again...

That's a really good question. I like liquid ferts. That's all I use because they're very easy to dose.

I use a brand called "Earth Juice". It's really good and comes in different solutions depending on what you're trying to do for the plants. I'm currently using the "Grow" kind, but also use the "Micro". Both are good and it's good to alternate liquids because plants don't thrive unless they have a good variety of food.

B

Mogurako said:

How do you have your java ferns planted?

Back
Top Bottom