Plant Ideas/Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carlos_421

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to add more plants but can't make up my mind what to get. What are your favorites or what do you think will look great with what I already have?

I'm running 108w (2x54w T5) over 55 gallons with CO2 injection. Substrate is sand so I'm using Flourish root tabs. For liquid ferts I've been using Leaf Zone but will be switching to Flourish.

I'd like something tall and full to go in the left corner and hide my equipment and also look good against the pennywort. I tend to prefer the idea of a nice stem plant to pull nutrients from the water column over a major root feeder (although I'm open).
I'm also wanting a nice mid-ground showpiece for the open space in the center of the tank (thinking along the lines of a large red crypt or smaller sword variety...or something awesome you think I should check out).

I'll also take suggestions for foreground plants. After all, those baby sword plants won't be in the tank long term (they're finally taking off now that I'm running higher lights and CO2 and are growing pretty fast).

Side note: I do have Italian Val in the back which is finally starting to grow upward, running from the ludwigia to the large sword.

P.S. Excuse the shape my ludwigia is in. It's actually recovering nicely from a 3 day blackout a couple weeks ago.

For a tall water column feeder, maybe look into some Cabomba. They can get very tall, and will heavily feed off the water column as well as the substrate.

Cabomba is high on my list of possibilities. I saw a "purple" variety of cabomba caroliniana on aquabid that was pretty sweet.

Cabomba is high on my list of possibilities. I saw a "purple" variety of cabomba caroliniana on aquabid that was pretty sweet.

Nice, I just got these the other week. Already grown 1-2+ inches, from what I read the "purple/red" varieties are very hard to grow. But I have zero experince to comment on those :)

I grabbed cabomba because I did not want Horwort in this tank, and this seem to be a little better than it.

Back
Top Bottom