Plant name and how to prune?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ericwm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am mainly somewhat new to planted tanks. I have had mine up for a couple months and am pretty confident with the fish part of it. I am not too knowledgable on the plant part of it. This was one of the first plants in my tank and it has grown really well, I'm not sure the name but here is a pic

image-2487889338.jpg

I was thinking of pruning it and planting the trimmings but am not sure where I should prune. The way I see it I could take the top half off and have a wider plant or take the branches off the side and have a taller plant. Is there a specific way I should do it for this plant or is it just a preference.

Thanks in advance.

The bottom of the plant looks weird, but the top looks like lobelia cardinalis. Google it and tell me what you think.

I don't know what plant that is but I'm surprised to see that lucky bamboo in the background. That's not fully aquatic, FYI.

I am aware the bamboo isn't fully aquatic, my wife wanted it and the tank is in her office so it gets to stay for now.

As for the other plant I looked up lobelia cardinalis and it didn't look the same. I have no idea. Any one else recognize it?

It definitely has a stem. I got it from my LFS. Here is a pic from above.

image-1012516590.jpg

I'm sticking with my original guess. Lobelia cardinalis goes through a leaf morphology change going between emersed and submerged growth. Your plant looks like it has the more elongate leaves at the bottom and more oval shaped ones at the top. The way the leaves are coming off the stem also looks like lobelia. It's also becoming more common in fish stores lately, so it's entirely possible you could find it there.

That sounds like I will go with that. Any idea on proper pruning, I am guessing I will be pruning this a lot. This is how I bought it 2 months ago.

image-2687484121.jpg

Back
Top Bottom