Plant problems!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irish.OG87

Aquarium Advice Freak
For the last 2-3 weeks now my plants have been either getting these long stands of algae(I'm pretty sure its algae) or I'm growing plants that get discolored. It makes my tank look ugly the way my plants are growing and its very frustrating.
The plants I have that I feel ain't growing right are chain sword, dwarf hairgrass, micro sword and some vals and water sprite...actually thats pretty much all my plants hahahaha
What I have done to try and fix/help my plant improve was I cut lighting down to 4-5hrs from 8hrs (does lunar light doesn't count against me does it?)
Also for about 2 weeks now I have also added some seachems flourish twice a week.
All my parameters are normal if that would do anything to screw with me.
Still.....No improvements!!!
Any ideas anybody?
Here are some pictures if you can identify the problem:

Attachments

• IMAG0426_1310598720472.jpg
    IMAG0426_1310598720472.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMAG0427.jpg
    IMAG0427.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMAG0432.jpg
    IMAG0432.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMAG0433.jpg
    IMAG0433.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 110
as far as i know, reef lighting will not do any good to your plants that is why they are dying, unless am wrong, which i might be. but here are some information about lighting anyhow:

A beginner's guide to lighting

hope that helps...

Last edited:
here is more plants...

Attachments

• IMAG0433.jpg
    IMAG0433.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMAG0434_1310598236930.jpg
    IMAG0434_1310598236930.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 105
as far as i know, reef lighting will not do any good to your plants that is why they are dying, unless am wrong, which i might be. but here are some information about lighting anyhow:

A beginner's guide to lighting

hope that helps...

Idk if what your sayin is right or wrong but I asked the ML customer service ppl about this light for freshwater plants. and what they said was if i wanted my plants to grow they recommended I use this light fixture I have already, idk if it was just them just saying that but I would hope they would know a thing or two about their product.

i am not that familiar with led lighting, am the compact FL girl. but some experts here tried it.

Can you post a link to the exact fixture you are using?

Also, what size tank is it?

What is your nitrate testing at?

What kind of seachem flourish are you using (there are about 5 different specific kinds of flourish)? How much of it are you dosing?

Based on what I see so far, I am thinking there is a combination of an algae issue, and a lighting issue. Some of the higher light plants are really showing signs of lighting deficiency. Unfortunately, some fixtures are advertised as reef capable, but that may not mean much. Need to know the specs.

Also, you said for the last 2-3 weeks this issue has been occurring. Was everything fine before that? How long has the tank been established, and how long have the plants been in there?

Can you post a link to the exact fixture you are using?

Also, what size tank is it?

What is your nitrate testing at?

What kind of seachem flourish are you using (there are about 5 different specific kinds of flourish)? How much of it are you dosing?

Based on what I see so far, I am thinking there is a combination of an algae issue, and a lighting issue. Some of the higher light plants are really showing signs of lighting deficiency. Unfortunately, some fixtures are advertised as reef capable, but that may not mean much. Need to know the specs.

Also, you said for the last 2-3 weeks this issue has been occurring. Was everything fine before that? How long has the tank been established, and how long have the plants been in there?

I have a 36g bf, light fixture I am using is the 23''-36'' one:
Reef Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System
The ferts I'm using is seachems flourish, not flourish excel just flourish in a bottle. and i dose half a capsule twice a week.
Nitrates are between 5-10ppm
The tank has been established for about 3-4 months now and i have started putting real plants in it for about 2 months, and the issue just got noticeable recently.

Is it flourish trace or flourish comprehensive?

I would say that your light is insufficient for your tank size, and several of the plants you are trying to grow. The chain sword, hair grass, and microsword would benefit from stronger lighting. The water sprite and vals might benefit from some root tabs (they are probably turning now as trace elements are starting to get depleted after the tank has been up for a couple of months). It also looks like you have some Ophiopogon japonica which is non-aquatic. It lasts awhile submerged, but it might be turning now since it has been in for awhile.

It also looks like you might have some BBA in the tank. That will choke out plants and out compete plants for nutrients. You probably need to do some abatement and control on that, and figure out the cause. Excess algae growth means your tank is out of balance.

Is it flourish trace or flourish comprehensive?

I would say that your light is insufficient for your tank size, and several of the plants you are trying to grow. The chain sword, hair grass, and microsword would benefit from stronger lighting. The water sprite and vals might benefit from some root tabs (they are probably turning now as trace elements are starting to get depleted after the tank has been up for a couple of months). It also looks like you have some Ophiopogon japonica which is non-aquatic. It lasts awhile submerged, but it might be turning now since it has been in for awhile.

It also looks like you might have some BBA in the tank. That will choke out plants and out compete plants for nutrients. You probably need to do some abatement and control on that, and figure out the cause. Excess algae growth means your tank is out of balance.

trace elements?? wouldnt ferts help with that? My soil is eco complete also.
Ophiopogon japonica... idk which plant that is, do i have it up in one of my pictures??
Its flourish comprehensive.
The lighting I have...Im gettin mixed response to my light, one person says its no good enough ann another says its considered medium -high light. So idk!!!

Your light fixture is fine. I have the same fixture for my 90gal supplemented with a single bulb t5. Something else is the culprit. I

Attachments

• image-193817149.jpg
    image-193817149.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 80
Philly, are you sure? How long has your tank been established and what are you growing? Higher light plants need something with a little more par than 20 1 watt 10000Ks. Most higher tech tanks are using 3 watt crees or something similar.

Last edited:
Oops. Didn't see the size of your fixture. You need your fixture the entire length of the tank. Only negative to this fixture is the tank coverage unlike a T5's reflectors. ML led works great for plants directly underneath.

Oops. Didn't see the size of your fixture. You need your fixture the entire length of the tank. Only negative to this fixture is the tank coverage unlike a T5's reflectors. ML led works great for plants directly underneath.

My fixture pretty much covers the entire length, all my plants are directly underneath my fixture no doubt.
Do you use CO2 philly?

So thats it???....just get another light fixture??
Before i i give up on this insufficient 350 buck light I'm gonna try my luck with a diy setup of co2....its my hail mary pass, so i guess ill report back to the thread with the results.

DIY Co2 probably won't help in this case. In that sized tank it might exacerbate your bba issue. a pressurized system might help, but that's an investment. If you do go with DIY you will need multiple bottles.

Unfortunately I think your issue is light.

Ok fair enough (you have no idea how depressed i am of hering that lol)
Any recommendations on a light that will last me forever like the led would of?? lol
or maybe give me specs that would be overkill for any plant??

Btw, any light i get im gonna have to get co2 to counteract the high light correct??

I have been dosing Excel and using the PPS Pro dosing regime. I was gone for four days and when I got back, I have algae. I started my doing regime again in a couple of days, my algae was back under control. I was at a site where Tom Barr frequents and asked if there was a connection...it seems that if you dose 2 to 3x the regular dose, it becomes an algaecide...I don't understand the science but they found through trial that it indeed works with no adverse effects on fish or plants.

Back
Top Bottom