Plant Selection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon aquarium set up, and I HATE my layout. I like the position of my bogwood, but I hate my plants inparticular. I have come across a selection pack online which is designed for my tank size and has:

5 x Elodea Densa
1 x Aponogetum Crispus
5 Eleocharis Parvulus (dwarf hairgrass)
10 x mini Amazon Sword
5 x Bacopa Monnerii
5 x Twisted Vallisneria
10 x Sagittaria Natans
5 x Rotalla Indica

5 x Cabomba Caroliniana
5 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii
5 x Hygrophilia Polysperma
5 x Ludwigia Mullertii

5 x Vallisneria Spiralis
5 x Ludwigia Natans
10 x Mayaca Fluviatilas

5 x Rotala Macranda
5 x Hydrilla Verticillata
5 x Echinodorus Latifolius

Does that seem like too much variety? I use Tetra Complete substrate with sand, and occasionally dose liquid ferts. Does this selection sound good?

I have 2 T8s. They are only what came with the tank. These are the lights.

One Power-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 30W 91.44cm (36in) T8
One Aqua-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 30W 91.44cm (36in) T8

They are hagen I think
Thanks

CherryBarb123 said:
I have a 55 gallon aquarium set up, and I HATE my layout. I like the position of my bogwood, but I hate my plants inparticular. I have come across a selection pack online which is designed for my tank size and has:

5 x Elodea Densa
1 x Aponogetum Crispus
5 Eleocharis Parvulus (dwarf hairgrass)
10 x mini Amazon Sword
5 x Bacopa Monnerii
5 x Twisted Vallisneria
10 x Sagittaria Natans
5 x Rotalla Indica

5 x Cabomba Caroliniana
5 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii
5 x Hygrophilia Polysperma
5 x Ludwigia Mullertii

5 x Vallisneria Spiralis
5 x Ludwigia Natans
10 x Mayaca Fluviatilas

5 x Rotala Macranda
5 x Hydrilla Verticillata
5 x Echinodorus Latifolius

Does that seem like too much variety? I use Tetra Complete substrate with sand, and occasionally dose liquid ferts. Does this selection sound good?

I have 2 T8s. They are only what came with the tank. These are the lights.

One Power-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 30W 91.44cm (36in) T8
One Aqua-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 30W 91.44cm (36in) T8

They are hagen I think
Thanks

That is REALLY low light. You can still grow plants. But only the really hardy low light plants will handle 1 watt per gallon. If you can ever switch to T5s they will give you a lot more light to work with.

Those are great plants listed. Many should grow for you. Use root tabs and flourish Comprehensive and you definitely can grow plants. IF that package is a good price, try it. If not, check the mart here or join The Planted Tank and get any plant you want. The sellers on TPT can tailor a package to your tank if you tell them your specs. I would try Crypts and narrow leaf Java Ferns, two of my favorites :)

I grow plants under a tiny LED fixture. Low light works, just slower ;)

Thanks! I wish better lighting had come with my tank, I would like to upgrade, but that isn't possible for a while. It is £15 for that set, which I don't think is too bad. If some of these plants will grow, I may try it.

Which plants are least likely to grow out of those?

Have you got any suggestions for tall background plants, that may grow in my setup?

CherryBarb123 said:
Thanks! I wish better lighting had come with my tank, I would like to upgrade, but that isn't possible for a while. It is £15 for that set, which I don't think is too bad. If some of these plants will grow, I may try it.

Which plants are least likely to grow out of those?

Have you got any suggestions for tall background plants, that may grow in my setup?

The Dwarf Hairgrass may be tricky. I don't know all of those. But they are all mostly easy plants. The Vals should grow tall, crispus also.

Their is Crypt balansae that is growing well for me. The problem you'll find is that the back wall and corners where you want tall plants isn't well lit. Plants can still grow.

Aquatic Plant Central and The Planted Tank both have good plant profiles.

Check around for a club near you. Good way to score great deals !! And learn from locals.

Thanks! Do you think it would be worth giving it a go, or buying plants individually?

CherryBarb123 said:
Thanks! Do you think it would be worth giving it a go, or buying plants individually?

I think that's a good package. I just like picking my plants and I am cheap so buying from TPT and my club members has been best for me.

I think the package is a great way to try things and see what you like. You can always trade your excess plants if you have some to your LFS for credit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom