Plant temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of doing a small planted tank that is currently housing some goldfish. I've heard mixed things about goldfish tearing up plants, but my main question here is: are there plants that grow well in temps that are in the goldfish's "appropriate" temp. I've heard 78 is the max. I have a 5 gallon that has a 10 watt cf. I'm not sure about the color, but I got it at walmart so I think it's a 6500 because other people have described this bulb. I've never done a planted tank before and though I've heard bigger is easier, I'd like a small planted tank.

And with my lightning I can have just low light plants correct?

Yes... I think even low lights might be tough with 10W of CF. You might have some luck with java moss, java fern... some crypts... maybe anubias.

Goldfish in a 5g is a bad idea. Fancy goldfish need 30g for the first fish and an additional 10g for each additional fish. A 5g is suitable for a betta or a few fish of a really small species. That's about it.

Ok, I'm still in the planning stages of this so plenty of time, it's a 15 watt outlet, would I be ok if I found a 20 watt cf bulb?

15W I would think.

Good catch on the goldfish Jim. I glossed right over that part. Goldfish are not a good idea at all for a 5 gal tank.

There being upgraded soon. I just don't have the room to set up a larger tank at the moment. So for now, I'd like to plant it.

Back
Top Bottom