Planted Aquarium For My Dorm- PLEASE ASSIST

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burzw0538

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First I would like it to be known that I am a Newbie to this site....and relatively to fish keeping.

I have/had an apartment while I attend my 2 year school. My Girlfriend then kind of talked me into getting a fish tank going to help me deal with the move. I have been keeping fish for about a year now and its been a hobby that has consumed my interests. Recently I found that my College life has lead me to UW Oshkosh and it seems that the Dorms at Oshkosh only allow a 10 gallon tank.

I currently have a 5 gal hex tank in which I keep 6 guppies, 2 albino mystery snails (Currently in process of breeding), and a walmart special aquatic plant (not sure what it is, some kind of small fern) and a small shrimp. I really would like a planted tank, without co2, and be able to raise my fish in it at the dorms.

I am prepared to buy a new 10 gal tank because I feel the lighting in the hex may not be enough to support my plans to start this planted tank. I was wondering if I could get some feed back about what I should get for plants or a tank. Basically any feed back would be appreciated.

well i wouldnt try to breed bystery snails in that small of tank. they lay eggs above the water line and can hatch hundreds of them at a time.

a new 10 is your best bet i would get a incandescent hood and replace the bulbs with the cfl screw in bulbs. this will give you a good source of light. i would also keep the stocking low since it might be a little crazy at times. might not be able to get all those wcs done weekly.

as for plants i would stick to anubiast java ferns crypts and moss. you can have your self a nice little low light tank to take your mind of the crazy school days.

I didn't try to breed mystery snails in that small of tank. I removed the lid and saw the hundreds of eggs one day. I guess I thought I should give it a try. I have the eggs separate in small plastic pet carrier (for insects or something) but the eggs are on a piece of duct tape I folded in half and they are resting above water level.

I was thinking a new 10 too... go easy with the abbreviations...I'm still new lol...

I understand cfl is a type of bulb but what does wcs stand for?

Thanks for the plant type tips

Do you think my tank would be too crowded with the guppies, the snails, and the shrimp?

If you want shrimp to reproduce go with a shrimp only tank. The snails are poop machines so your bioload will be high limiting the amount of fish that you can have.

with everything breeding (guessing the guppies are breeding) it can become too much quickly. as it stands i think its fine.

haha my dorm only allowed 10 gallons

so i did a ten gallon first semester then switched to a 29 over winter break.

if you make it pretty enough they will let you keep it!

I bet the size of the tank depends on the RA, forget the dorm rules...lol. Mine let me keep a Jackson Chameleon and my neighbor had a flying squirrel.

Back
Top Bottom