Planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joebro3333

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been wanting to start a planted tank and I don't want to tear down my tank don't have the money for a holding tank for fish. So I have regular gravel and I have moneywort that seems to be doing very well and sticks in pretty good also any other suggestions and what kind of bulb should I get well kelvin wise? I have a 24 or 36 inch t5 bulb?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You don't have to tear down the tank.
You can switch the substrate later if you'd like to. You can do a planted substrate, or I use sand.

Java Fern or Anubias get tied or glued to rocks or wood. Very easy plants.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have been wanting to start a planted tank and I don't want to tear down my tank don't have the money for a holding tank for fish. So I have regular gravel and I have moneywort that seems to be doing very well and sticks in pretty good also any other suggestions and what kind of bulb should I get well kelvin wise? I have a 24 or 36 inch t5 bulb?

If you are starting out you should begin with low light requiring plants.

Anubis (tied to rocks or driftwood) amazon swords, anacharis, cabomba, crypts, hygrophilia polysperma, java fern, wisteria to name a few. Swords and crypts need root tablet fertilisers because they predominantly feed through roots where as the others take through the leaves.

You t5 is a good start but you want as close to natural daylight as possible so if it's a dual you need 2 x 6500 kelvin or close to as possible.

Now your plants have water and light the other things they need to grow healthily are carbon dioxide and nutrients. You can buy both these in liquid form as most starters do.

That's it. You don't need to tear down the tank. Plants grow well in gravel.

Good luck.

Thank you :) any advice on growing dwarf hairgrass or is that too hard for just gravel aquarium?

Thank you :) any advice on growing dwarf hairgrass or is that too hard for just gravel aquarium?

The DHG will need pretty high light, not sure about high gravel but they do need higher light.

Back
Top Bottom