Planted + lid or lidless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
For those with a planted plus do you have a lid on your tank or not. I have a glass lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have the planted plus and do not use a lid on my tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406053487.280174.jpg

Some more info: my tank is 55gallons has two 24" glass lids. The fish I have are angels, black neons, Otos, and GBRs. Do I need to keep a lid on this tank for when I buy the planted plus. Will having a lid affect the light?

I don't think any of those fish are jumpers, but no lid also means increased noise and water evaporation.

The lid will cut down the light a little bit so not sure if that's what u want of not. Water evaporation is worse with no lid.

50/50. Let me explain. I have a glass canopy that split at the hinge. So recently I have been running only the front pane (the one with the handle). The back half is open. Evaporation is less than with the fully open tank.
My planted + will arrive in two days.

I do not put any glass in between leds and water. I even had pieces cut to Fit the 40b

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1406058658016.jpg
    1406058658016.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 286
The reason I was asking is because when I looked on google images all the tanks with this light had no lid.

In a perfect world I'd go topless.. In a world with cats I have no choice..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As people have stated lids have the disadvantage of blocking light and reducing PAR, but have the advantage of reducing evaporation. From a planted tank perspective, PAR is much more important than reducing evaporation. Just add water regularly to counteract evaporation.

I have another idea for custom covers: Use long panels of mirrors in surface areas not covered by your light. This will increase PAR, reduce evaporation, and reduce spill light on your wall and ceiling! 5 foot long plain mirrors are about $15 at Home Depot and Lowes...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd go lidless if you can (no jumpers, no cats, etc). Looks cleaner, but you just have to deal with a small bit of evaporation.

Back
Top Bottom