Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldiesNLoaches

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm hoping too moderately-heavily plant my tank. At the moment I only have java moss in it, and I'm planning on a co2 system (just need to grow my yeast in 3-4 weeks I felt like trying to grow the yeast instead of buying it for some reason) Now my tank has goldies and loaches and probably ghost shrimp soon(gonna try to keep a good population of breeders so they don't all die if eaten a little and if they do they don't seem to cost much). My loaches don't seem to like to dig alot alot in my sand and goldies only dig about when I use sinking pellets but I only put those sinking pellets in a spawning mop so the loaches can get it instead of the goldies. So they don't seem to be going to uproot them. Okay so most of my java moss is grown in a separate tank then put in my tank where it is them superglued to rocks. This is all my vegitation and I'm planning to get a stronger wattage bulb (I'm not sure about the wattage on mine but I'm guessing low! Plus the guy I bought them from didn't know much and never changed the lights) By the way how do you tell if your light fixture which mine sits on top the tank is t5 or anything? I think there t5. Back to the plants (by the way I don't seem to be doing this planted thing soon I mean one of those tank goals to eventually get to) I want banana plants, anubias, java fern, anacharis, and duckweed, are there anything wrong with these plants, oh and can banana plants live in 7.3-7.4 ph? Thx for any advice

EDIT: Forgot to mention jungle val not too sure if you can plant it with goldies didn't do much research on them. But a website did say down to 60 degrees.

What kind of loaches do you have? The only loaches that are really compatible with goldies are dojo loaches. Not sure about anyone else with them, but mine have dug up every plant I have ever tried with them. I resorted to potting the plants in clay pots, with glass disks over the dirt in the pots. So far, so good. They havent uprooted anything since......though they do try to tip the pots over a lot. They are like naughty toddlers, seriously.
As far as the goldies, I have been unable to keep anything alive in thier tank for longer than a week before they eat it. Lol

I think all those plants will do ok in cooler goldfish water. Ive had anarcharis, java fern and anubias in my goldie tank. they shredded the fern and anarcharis, the anubias I moved to another tank.
Maybe my dojos are just really naughty :)
I say pick a couple of easy "not too expensive" plants and give it a go. Its hard to know how they will do until you try it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom