Planted tanks and goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this doable ? Any advice ? Any pics ?

Your best bet would be plants that don't need to be rooted like java ferns and anubias. Swords would work well also. Just don't have any carpeting plants in mind or anything delicate.

I hear it is doable although when I tried it my 3 goldfish completely uprooted and mangled every plant I had in there including swords.

Anubias would be your best option. Goldfish feed on plants so you need plants with hard leaves

Anubias would be your best option. Goldfish feed on plants so you need plants with hard leaves

+1 to using plants with hard leaves. Goldies eat a lot of types of vegetation so you may have a bit of a struggle keeping them in a planted tank. May not be worth the effort. There are too many other fish that are better suited to planted aquariums. Just sayin' ;) :whistle:

Hope this helps (y)

Supplementing their diets with lots of veggies will also help keep them from chomping on your plants. :)

Completely possible!!! The key is training your guys to eat their daily fruits and veggies before adding any plants. They will then prefer these to snacking on the 'free' salad bar. Your goldfish will also decide which plants you are allowed to keep, not you! Ill post a few pics in minute.

Back
Top Bottom