Planting in a rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2fishes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So yes, I'm planting a frizzly java fern (or something like that) in a rock, I've already tied it in and posted a picture below.
How long should it take for the roots to hold on to the rock?
Also there's some roots coming out of the top of one of the leaves, can I just chop that off and plant it in the rock or substrate?

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 2010-02-23 12.57.45.jpg
    2010-02-23 12.57.45.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 2010-02-23 13.15.26.jpg
    2010-02-23 13.15.26.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 55
When I've rooted java to rocks or logs it's taken about a month for the roots to really grab a hold. As for the little one, you should be able to pluck it and tie it to the rock too.

nope, just the rhizome and roots... i've got several doing the same thing. just pull off the new plant, it wont take much. also, thread is a great thing to use to tie down anubias, moss, and java fern. By the time the thread rots, the roots have attached and you dont have to go back and cut it off

awesome, I've removed the little sproutsie and I've planted it in the substrate. Seemed pretty easy, we'll see if I did it right.
I love having a planted tank! My own little underwater garden!

Yes, on the little plant, if you do nothing eventually it will let go and start floating all around the tank. :) You might as well take it off and plant it. :)

Back
Top Bottom