Plants and sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most aquatic plants you find at LFS's can grow in sand ... I recommend PFS. The rhizome plants like java fern and anubias don't require substrate, just about all root feeder plants, like amazon sword, will do fine in sand ... you would just need to supplement nutrients like root tabs.

Any plant will do fine in sand... most river banks are sand... and a lot of lakes as well. You only need root tabs for root feeders, and they'll last around a month or two

About once a month ... I use Seachem Root tabs ... just push them into the substrate close to the plants and that's it, slowly it breaks down releasing the nutrients. Another supplement I use is Seachem Comprehensive (liquid) for the non-root feeders.

I use Osmocote + in gel caps. Replace every 4-6 months. Easy peesy. I use Leaf Zone liquid 1x weekly after my PWC. 2 of my tanks are sand. Both grow plants very well.

If you get some MTS in the tank with sand, they like to borrow so that will help keep the sand nice and loose and aerated. Plus the MTS are cool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom