Plants and stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akkitten

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am starting a new 20 gal tall; my plans for fish are: 7 glofish, 4 panda cory, 2 honey gourami, and 5 gold tetra (or white cloud minnow, haven't decided). First is this number of fish okay for this tank? I think everyone should get along.

Second, while the cycling is finished I want to get some plants in there. I was thinking about some dwarf sagittaria and java fern. Any suggestions for taller plants in the back that can be planted right in the gravel?

I think that stock would overstock the tank a little. I would bring the cory school to 3, and Leave the school of Gold tetra out. This should leave some room all the rest of the fish.

The dwarf Sag will need Moderate lighting to support, So make sure to have the lighting requirements, The Java fern will do fine in Low lighting though. I would recommend maybe following the 2-3 watts per gallon rule for the Dwarf Sag.

Have you considered maybe doing corkscrew Vals in the back for a tall plant (Needs moderate lighting)? What about some kind of anubias for the foreground?

Thanks Tyspot, I will look at those. I have no idea what the lum is on my lights, they are the LED set with the moonlight setting. I thought they would light up the glofish real nice. It is a nice true white light, but it may not has as much penetration to the bottom as traditional fluorescent lights.

As for the fish, I did the build on aqadvisor.com it came out to a 95% stocking level and that they recommended corys in schools of 4.

Of course, I am still trying to determine exactly who 'they' are. :)

Rather start with a low to moderate light plant until I can figure out what these LEDs can do.

Thanks again!

Do you happen to have the Marine land Double bright lighting system? If so, I have to say, They can support Moderate light plants. Im not sure what the Single bright supports.

Cories can do fine in a school of 3, but they prefer to be more. Im just saying that I dont think a footprint of a 20 gallon high is long enough to have a full school.

Oh, Heres a article on Why you shouldn't use AqAdvisor when stocking an aquarium:AqAdvisor

Great! I needed to see that. Having just obtained my first tank over two weeks ago I have to say I am a tad bit overwhelmed. I don't think its the double bright, but after looking it it...I am jealous. Here is the link to the kit I bought, in the 20 gal size:
Our Products

I didn't think it was enough to hold a full school either but being a noob I wasn't sure. I found some corys at the lfs that are really cute but they don't look like any other cory I have seen, they almost have zebra strips running top to bottom on them and they have them in pairs in some of their tanks. Wish I could figure out what they are because they seem quite content in pairs and not schools.

Any recommendations for a floating plant for a little additional cover? Or will it block too much light?

One thing to add about light, I live in Alaska and 6 months out of the year, window/light or not, it will get close to 24 hrs a day of light. :)

Hmm, Im not sure about the kits with the LED's , But do you happen to know the lumen (Lumens are like watts, but for LED. It should said it on the box somewhere) ?

You could do some Hornwort or water wisteria? They do better floating than they do rooted In my Experience. It should block too much light if you dont put too much.

Could you happen to find a pic of the Cories you seen? Are you meaning the strips went from the top of the to the bottom or from the tip of their nose to the bottom of there tail?

Wow, thats an interesting fact about Alaska, never knew that. If you dont mind me asking, how do you get the light out of your room when you are sleeping? Is the light bright or kinda dim?

Lights, plants and fish oh no.

I have looked for the lumen on the box to no avail, I think it is because it came in a kit. I even checked the website but it doesn't list it either. Here is a picture with the lights on.

As for the cory I found, the look like little mini zebras. So the stripes run from the top fin to belly. They may not be a true cory, but the have the same body structure. I won't be able to get to that lfs until next weekend but I will look.

As for the sunlight, its not dim. You can still sit outside at midnight and read a newspaper. :) It is impossible to block it all out when trying to sleep so you just get used to it.

I will look for water wisteria, I can just keep it trimmed back. I just read somewhwere that the gourami like a little cover to hide in.

Attachments

• Picture 235.jpg
    Picture 235.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 62
Im not sure about the cories, I will have to do some research, I cant seem to find them.

You might want to go with low-light plants at first and if they can support them, then try Moderate light plants and see if they live.

Back
Top Bottom