plants dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My plants are dying, what to do, its bin 4 days and day are turning transparent. i use flourite dark for substrate. The plants are dwarf hairgras. Temps 82f. Im cycling so ammonia is at 3.5 now. Light is 2x 6700k on and off for 4h

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110721_133706.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110721_133706.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 179
  • ForumRunner_20110721_133820.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110721_133820.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 181
I wouldn't be too worried about it. There are two acclimation factors here:

1) Emerse to Submerse - the dwarf hair grass needs to acclimate to the submerse environment. Most of the plants (e.g., tropical) are grown in pots through the emerse environment. Dwarf hair grass is very finicky in that it will take up to 6 weeks before it fully hits off and starts to spread like crazy.

2) Nutrients/CO2 and Lighting Period - It needs to adapt to the conditions that you are providing. Ideally you want to provide 30 ppm of co2 (drop checker is green to yellow), dose a regular fertilizer that is non-limiting (e.g., Estimative Index) and give it a proper photoperiod of 8 - 12 hours.

You don't have any quick growing plants (stem plants) in that tank from the looks of it. I would not suggest that you go all out and start dosing a full non-limiting fertilizer regime. Most likely, you are going to end up with green water and tons of algae.

Also, it is common for plants to melt (cryptocoryne rot will apply here) if the parameters are incorrect. You did mention that it is a new tank and the substrate is fresh. Give it some time and let the system establish and then go from there.

I think Chizer might have the right of it, acclimation period. Hang in there, increase the photoperiod and wait it out. Perhaps a week, if that, and you'll see new growth.

Don't know a whole lot about plants really, but I know you want that ammonia WAY lower, like 0.25ppm or below!
plants use ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate as natural fertilizer. the ammonia is fine since hes cycling

1) it will take up to 6 weeks before it fully hits off and starts to spread like crazy.

2) dose a regular fertilizer that is non-limiting (e.g., Estimative Index) and give it a proper photoperiod of 8 - 12 hours.

Most likely, you are going to end up with green water and tons of algae.

I believe you must be right, about the 6 weeks, and the flourite dark substrate not being ready. I say this, because, i'm doing everything right and everything keeps dying. I did start giving supplement everyday named flourish, and yes it did exactly what you said, a ton a algae.

2.Estimative index (i do not have they intention of changing my water every weeks sorry) look great for more control.

Here are my stable setting. 100 GH, 50 KH, 7 PH, 0 AMMO, 0.2 Nitrite, 20 Nitrate.8H light. hope this help

Anyway, the peacock moss came back to life. I think, for him, It was the new conditions in the tank that make them sick. I completely lost all my dwarf hairless. Still don't know what happened, gona have to buy new one and add some type off fertilizer to add in the substrate. What do you recommended. I don't what to dose everyday. Maybe some type of pellets.

Find out what it was missing, it was iron. I did add iron, but i added to mush of it. now the leaf are black. Did a water change to make it stable.so now i have the right amount off iron.

What is you lighting. You say "2x 6700k" but that tells us nothing. What is your wattage. DHG is a higher light plant.

Thanks you for they interest .
Like i said before , there low lights . i am fully equipped in fert and lights . My plants where dying , because there where not having iron in there diets (dwarf hairless turning yellow and transparent ) .
The cause his :The flourish dark has no significant mineral that will sustain the plants and i did not know that. That his a big problem for i needed a self sustainable aquarium. That aquarium now has to be.fertilized every week . O well .

Back
Top Bottom