Plants for betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, due to my betta becoming increasingly aggressive towards the neons he was with in my 20g i have decided that its time for him to be put in a 2.5g i have laying around.

The tank is viewable from 3 sides so the far left is the front while the far right is the back.

I have a cfl over the tank and expect mediumish light.

What would you guys use as plants?
I was thinking some star repens for the front and maybe a crypt. For closer to the back i was thinking either mexican oak leaf or ludwigia repens.

I second the star Repens. The Ludwigia I've heard will grow like I weed once it gets going. That's some often trimming in a 2.5g. Maybe some often trimmed Val's? That would be my choice.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Do you have a pic of the tank? I'm just having a difficult time picturing it.

Do you have a pic of the tank? I'm just having a difficult time picturing it.

Oops, I completely forgot to add pictures :D

The rocks are there to have something in the tank, I don't care if they stay or go. I might keep at least 1 of them.

I'm debating whether I want to switch over to black diamond blasting sand as well. This flourite is just something I had laying around.

Front
lXPvghe.jpg

Left
gzs2ciY.jpg

Right
b7k9NRo.jpg

k2hP6F0.jpg

Ha! I love that first pic (y) And hey, I see my dog in the background of the second pic!

I'm a big fan of black substrate and if you did keep any or all of the rocks it would make a nice contrast, especially with green plants and the color of your betta.

My go-to plants are always vals and dwarf sag. The star repens would be nice in the front though. Mexican oak leaf is interesting, never heard of it before your post. Do you plan to have anything floating?

Ha! I love that first pic (y) And hey, I see my dog in the background of the second pic!

I'm a big fan of black substrate and if you did keep any or all of the rocks it would make a nice contrast, especially with green plants and the color of your betta.

My go-to plants are always vals and dwarf sag. The star repens would be nice in the front though. Mexican oak leaf is interesting, never heard of it before your post. Do you plan to have anything floating?

I have some red root floaters in my 20g.. Assuming they stop dying I will move some to this tank.

I agree on the black sand. Would make that pretty betta, stand out even more. I agree with the rock contrast as well. Yes ludwigia repens grows like a weed, but if youd like some ill send ya some trimmings free of charge. Also maybe some micro swords would be cool.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree on the black sand. Would make that pretty betta, stand out even more. I agree with the rock contrast as well. Yes ludwigia repens grows like a weed, but if youd like some ill send ya some trimmings free of charge. Also maybe some micro swords would be cool.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ludwigia repens was actually one of the first plants i ever bought and its been growing strong ever since i bought it
:)

The micro sword is a good idea too. I used to have quite a large amount before i killed most of my plants with neglect.. school has taken a big toll on my tanks :(

I took your guys' advice and it was a night and day difference. I am loving the change.

uploadfromtaptalk1429485049951.jpg

Im never gonna find a use for that flourite though.

I put Betta Bob in a 3 gallon a year ago with an ozelot sword and floating Pennywort.

The pennywort is pretty if you sort of cut it in shorter pieces at each branch so you have a lot of "v" shapes and weave the v around the heater cord and each other. Then it looks lush instead of weedy.

Interestingly the tank also never has any nitrates since I quit using a filter ... And being filter free is sometimes calming to tightly wound bettas in my experience. The pennywort now grows like crazy too.

I'd post a photo if someone can post the link to wherever on this site you can become a subscriber!! I keep looking and can't find it.

I liked putting the oversized sword in the 3, it's very dramatic. Like a giant oak tree.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom