plants for silver fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_fish77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My brother has a silver fin shark but she seemed really stressed lately. So we researched it and a store suggested plants for her. So do you any plants that would be good for a silver fin shark? It would be really helpful.

My brother has a silver fin shark but she seemed really stressed lately. So we researched it and a store suggested plants for her. So do you any plants that would be good for a silver fin shark? It would be really helpful.
Silver Fins eventually need to progress to Brackish then full SW. How big is it ?

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/catfish/sharkcat.php

They die easily in aquariums. They need a group to feel safe like most Catfish. They'll eat any fish that fit in their mouth and they start needing salt.
They get 14-24".

These are NOT beginner fish.

I also suggest to start slowly building up the salt level in her tank. This would be a good time to add a few salt tolerant plants that can build up to brackish water levels of salt. Crypts, anubia's, and java ferns are good choices. Also too small a tank can stress it. But honestly returning it and getting a more suitable fish species would be best.

Silver Fins eventually need to progress to Brackish then full SW. How big is it ?

Silver-tipped Shark, Shark Catfish, Tete Sea Catfish, Hexanematichthys seemanni, Ariopsis seemanni

They die easily in aquariums. They need a group to feel safe like most Catfish. They'll eat any fish that fit in their mouth and they start needing salt.
They get 14-24".

These are NOT beginner fish.

Well she's just a baby 2 inches but my brother has a big tank that the pet smart people suggested.

I also suggest to start slowly building up the salt level in her tank. This would be a good time to add a few salt tolerant plants that can build up to brackish water levels of salt. Crypts, anubia's, and java ferns are good choices. Also too small a tank can stress it. But honestly returning it and getting a more suitable fish species would be best.

How would he be able to know if he has to much salt in it or to not enough. Because my brother isn't really into fish except the sharks I don't think he'll go for any other fish.

I haven't done a brackish tank in over 10 years so you'll have to do some reseach on levels and such. Hopefully someone who does brackish tanks can chime in. I know one of the mods either has them or has had them but don't remember who it is.

How would he be able to know if he has to much salt in it or to not enough. Because my brother isn't really into fish except the sharks I don't think he'll go for any other fish.

Well most "sharks" don't go to Salt Water. These Silver Fins do. They are a Catfish that is born in fresh water and moves into brackish and then SW as they grow.

So if he has other species the brackish water will kill them.

I would return the fish or do your homework in them. They need a group to feel safe and huge tanks. Get over the shark thing...any fish with any shark type looks gets called a shark.

These are a fast growing , special needs, big Catfish. It will die unless its needs are met.

Good luck, it's too bad, they are very attractive fish as babies...they just aren't suitable for most people and just die as babies.

Well we can't really return her because its already been a month. But my brother is planning on getting 2 more silver fins in a 80 gallon tank so they have room. My brother has had them before just not with real plants.

Well we can't really return her because its already been a month. But my brother is planning on getting 2 more silver fins in a 80 gallon tank so they have room. My brother has had them before just not with real plants.

Ok. Well at least he's trying. I'm all for live plants, just study up so he knows how much salt to add and when.

Back
Top Bottom