Plants. :P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tormented

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what plants are low light and easy to care for (Not needing anymore Co2 or fertilizer). I would like names of plants (and possibly pictures), that are like that, that I can get from a petco or petsmart. They are the only fish stores that I KNOW have plants. The 2 ONLY fish stores are both salt water.

Anubias and any kind of ferns is really easy plants...and low light too, but I never bought plants in Petsmart or Petco, why don't you try to buy plants from the members on the forum?

If your Petsmart and Petco stores are anything like mine, you are going to be really limited in selection of plants. My stores also tend to use generic plant labels that might or might not tell you about light needs.

There are several forum members who sell plants, and lots of reputable online sources for plants. Either one of those options will ensure you get an accurate plant ID, as well as information about whether you are getting a low light plant.

They may sell Java Ferns sometimes as Tropica Ferns. Moss Balls, Amazon Swords, just try to check before you buy.

Ribbon Plants
Mondo Grass
Peacock Ferns
Are all NOT fully Aquatic and will rot.

Look up care on the plants.

I use screw in mini CFLs 6,500K in my stock hoods for my plants. I use Seachem Flourish Comprehensive liquid fertilizer once a week after water changes on my small tanks. I use DIY Root Caps ( Ghostshrimp is selling them in the AA Mart section ). For my Swords and Crypts.

Crypts are awesome !! I buy them from hobbyists either here or join the Planted Tank for free, they have a HUGE selection of plants for sale MUCH cheaper than stores.

I grow plants on the cheap. But my tanks are all 10g or less.

PetSmart has begun carrying alot more true aquatic plants, ones I've seen are: ludwigia, rotala, bacopa, swords, crypts, java fern regualar and wendilov, dwarf hair dwarf. Write these names down if you decide to go check out thier plant selection you'll have a list of plants that you know are true aquatics.

What makes a tank have "high" light. I have 10 watt bulbs (6,500K) is that high or low?

A "general" rule of thumb is how many watts of light per gallon of tank you gave. 10 watts on a 10 gallon gives you a 1:1 ratio which is typically considered between low and medium light. A 2:1 us typically considered more towards high light.

Now as many people will chime in I'm sure, there are many exceptions to this rule. Which style of light, (LED, t8, t12, or t5 fluorescent, or incandescent) plays a role, how tall your tank is, everything matters.

My tank is 12 inches tall. The lights are mini florescent, I am no sure if they are t5 or what not. I have 2 wpg. They are from walmart.

Is it the screw in CF bulbs? If they are, then you actually have low lighting. They don't produce as much light as a regular florescent that goes the length of the hood on the tank.

My tank is 12 inches tall. The lights are mini florescent, I am no sure if they are t5 or what not. I have 2 wpg. They are from walmart.

Sounds like Low Light. You can grow plenty of plants with mini CFLs as long as they are the correct spectrum.

Mini CFLs are screw in. I use 6,500K for a nice warm look and the plants like it.

Just use some Ferts and some liquid Carbon supplement like Excel.

There is 2 in my tank hood, both 6,500K. Does that mean I have 13,000K or still just 6,500K.

I don' know how light work :lol:

6,500K is what you have in light spectrum
20 watts total is decent light.

I grow all sorts under similar lights. Mine are U-shaped which are a bit better, but spirals are fine too. Make sure your hood has reflectors. ( shiny bits to throw most light downwards towards the tank )

Low Light is fine. Med to High light means you have to add More Carbon and Ferts or you'll just grow Algae. Low light is easier, less maintenance.

Check my Profile for albums of my tanks.

Okay, I didn't think you did, but I thought I would ask!

Yea my hood has the reflectors. I think the bulbs they are U shaped.

Fab. I grow:

Bolbitis
Ludwigia repens
Bacopa
Dwarf Chain Sword
Several Crypts
C lutea
C wendtii Mi Oya
C spiralis
Anubias nana Petite
Dwarf Tiger Lily
Etc...

I use a liquid Fert 1x weekly after water change I use Excel and I have root tabs. Easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom