Plants that can grow in sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trevred97

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi :) I was wondering if you guys knew about any plants that can do well in sand. I already have two but I want a lot. My tank is 30g... Ty :)

i got some plants from my local guy that he grows on a mat that is poly cloth the filter kind.. they work out great and you can cut them to size and shape

I moved all my plants from gravel to sand and have added some more. I can tell you, it seems like once they was in the sand they just took off. Just remember you need something under the sand for them. I just used left over root tabs from the gravel.

They stay in the ground better also, no more of my snails or Bumblebee cats uprooting them lol

I have cabomba, argentine sword, amazon sword, monewort, and a few others, they're all doing great.

I've noticed an improvement in rooting as well.

I don't know of any plant that can't grow in sand. I have numerous tanks that are only sand with dozens of different plant species. All I have is sand and nothing else under it. Most plants can get all their nutrients from the water column.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom