Plants that fish don't like to eat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just got plants for my tanks and would like to know what plants other people have put in their tanks that the fish don't like to eat. I have found that they don't eat Anubias, Verigated Rush and Java Fern but would really like to get more that will last like these.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome to the forum

First of all what fish are you referring to?
It pretty much depends on the fish and also some fish are different than others.

Also what lighting and bulbs are you using? This determines what plants will work in your tank. Bolbitus is a low light tolerant plant that most fish will leave alone.

Also depending on the fish stock you have adding veggie matter into their diet will often decrease plant nibbling/eating.

Hardy Plants

I have just got plants for my tanks and would like to know what plants other people have put in their tanks that the fish don't like to eat. I have found that they don't eat Anubias, Verigated Rush and Java Fern but would really like to get more that will last like these.

Hello Mel...

I keep tanks with only subdued lighting and have found Java fern, Onion, Anubias nana, Anubias nangi, and Amazon Swords to be pretty much fishproof.

If you like to emerse the roots of terrestrial plants in the tank, then Chinese Evergreen and Peace Lily are nice.

B

Thank you I am very new to this so appreciate any tips! I have a 100 litre tank with 100 watt fluorescent light and 200 litre with 250 litre watt light from memory. In one tank I have angel fish, gouramis, bristlenose, danios and tetras and they don't really touch the plants but the other tank has African cichlids and they have eaten other plants but not the Anubias, java fern and variegated rush. I have coral sand in both tanks.

African cichlids are notorious for destroying plants. If they aren't eating the ones you have or pulling them up that is great.

You do indeed have low light so need to stick with suitable plants. In the non-AC tank you could also use crypts planted in the substrate. Water sprite can also grow well in low light once it acclimates. If you use any swords or crypts be sure to get some root tabs and use them as directed since both of these plants are heavy root feeders.

I might just get more of the plants that are already in with the African cichlids for that tank. I've got them weighed down with small rocks because they did move them at first. I've made rock caves and was thinking about tying java moss to them but not sure if the Africans will leave that alone.

I've got some crypt wendtii on order so will put that in the non AC tank and try some of the other plants as well because I want at least one tank packed with plants.

Back
Top Bottom