plants with holes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platycrazy19

Aquarium Advice Activist
All of my aponogetons have holes in the leaves. Any help with this? I ended up trimming the leaves that looked really bad but i'm still curious as to what caused it. I have pretty basic lighting, no CO2 and on occasion I use seachem flourish. I did recently switch from gravel to sand, could this have caused it?

Sand can become to compact and actually stop root systems from expanding which can cause the plant to suffer.
The holes could be due to a potassium deficiency:
Plant Deficiency Picture Diagram - Fertilizing - Aquatic Plant Central
Plant Deficiency Symptoms - - Aquatic Plant Central <-- Good for identifying deficiency type

It could be a number of things although aponogetons can be difficult to grow and some are actually seasonal and will shed leaves for a period of time before recovering. My best bet is to get rid of the plants and stick with lower light and non-CO2 requiring plants such as anubias or cryptocoryne species.

actually they have grown fantastic in my low light tanks. The leaves have reached the surface and began growing baby plants off of it. Only recently have some of the leaves gone bad. Maybe those leaves were just dieing off for more to spout.

actually they have grown fantastic in my low light tanks. The leaves have reached the surface and began growing baby plants off of it. Only recently have some of the leaves gone bad. Maybe those leaves were just dieing off for more to spout.

Thats good to hear, I havent had much luck with them in my low light tanks. If they are sprouting new plants then the leaves would just be dying off because of this. Good Luck with them:)

Back
Top Bottom