Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^^ Regarding the EC, I agree with some of your points: it is basically overpriced lava rock granules. Can be a challenge planting small stem plants and carpets (can be done). Out of the bag, the black variety includes small amounts of tan, red, and gray granules; if you are looking for a solid black color then this is not it. However, the color won’t fade; the product I bought over 5 years ago still looks the same. Also, every account I’ve read mentioned it’s high CEC value. I have no way of measuring this property, however, from personal experience my plants did well with minimal root supplements (both stem and heavy root feeders). There was copious amounts of fish waste and I was doing a daily water column get regimen.

^^^ Regarding the EC, I agree with some of your points: it is basically overpriced lava rock granules. Can be a challenge planting small stem plants and carpets (can be done). Out of the bag, the black variety includes small amounts of tan, red, and gray granules; if you are looking for a solid black color then this is not it. However, the color won’t fade; the product I bought over 5 years ago still looks the same. Also, every account I’ve read mentioned it’s high CEC value. I have no way of measuring this property, however, from personal experience my plants did well with minimal root supplements (both stem and heavy root feeders). There was copious amounts of fish waste and I was doing a daily water column get regimen.

If you look at this analysis, both the Caribsea products (22 and 23) have very low CEC. I always thought it had high CEC, but no where does Carbisea claim is has high CEC.

Any gravel based substrate physically cannot have enough surface area for CEC to resemble any significant source of nutrient storage/release.

I had it in an older tank, and it turned a grey/washed out color over time, it lost it's dark color. I hated how the grain size was irregular, but it grew plants well, but I would have had the same plant growth using plain sand I am willing to bet.

Attachments

• fish CEC.jpg
    fish CEC.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 39
Sorry, what is CEC?

Cation Exchange Capacity. Its the ability of a soil/substrate to exchange positively charged nutrients (K, Ca, Mg etc.)

Basically it is the ability of a substrate to store/release nutrients for plants. In my opinion this characteristic should not really be considered in aquariums, decaying organics is likely where most of the "stored" nutrients are being released from. CEC ratings are more for terrestrial environments.

I like these kind of charts/studies. The Hart’s cat litter was a nice surprise. This one is a bit dated though. The CaribSea product listed was something other than EcoComplete. Would like to see one that included substrates from Brightwell Aquatics, UP AQUA, and ADA.
You mentioned organic waste...not vacuuming the substrate for YEARS will contribute to that. Every time I moved things around it was like pouring chocolate milk in there.

I like these kind of charts/studies. The Hart’s cat litter was a nice surprise. This one is a bit dated though. The CaribSea product listed was something other than EcoComplete. Would like to see one that included substrates from Brightwell Aquatics, UP AQUA, and ADA.
You mentioned organic waste...not vacuuming the substrate for YEARS will contribute to that. Every time I moved things around it was like pouring chocolate milk in there.

I think the Caribsea product in that study are composed of similar materials as Eco-comp, flourite got a very very low rating, so I doubt eco-comp is much better.

Yes, all the mulm trapped in between each substrate granule is likely where most of the nutrients being “stored” and “released” as the are decaying, with some of course being found along the CEC, but the majority is not. My tank with eco-comp was the same as yours, chocolate milk water after a major trim/replant.

Ok I have 2 heavily planted tanks now and they don't look the healthiest. I use root tabs but it seems not enough. Time to get fertilizers started. My question is, since my ph is so high 8.2-8.4, should I test KH and GH before dosing ferts?

Also my 5 gallon nano has begun growing hair algae on the plant leaves so I have reduced the light drastically.

Back
Top Bottom