Platies mollies and guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vamptramp3405

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Now I was just looking in my tank and realized I have a bunch of female mollies and NO male mollies. I do have a bunch of male platies tho and 2 male guppies...... Can all of these fish interbreed??? I'm trying to convince my husband into taking me to the fish store to get a few more mollies..... Don't know if I'm convincing enough lol

hahaha...no they won't interbreed, but all of them are livebreeders so be careful to add breeding partners for all of them unless you are prepared to be a mommy...ALOT.

Guppies will have a new batch of bebes every 30 days per female. And each female can have 30-100+ depending on their age. Platys and mollys will birth on a similar schedule but have 10-30 each time.

Another thing to consider is that almost all female guppies, platys and mollies are already pregnant. Most lfs and non selective breeders dont keep the sexes separate, so you get them already preggers. Just wait a month and you will have loads of bebes of all kinds, ready or not.

I would suggest setting up a nursery tank if you want to start breeding or if you want to tank care of the fry yourself. :) It is fun, but alot of work.

So, I would say pick which ones you want to breed and just enjoy the brighter colours of the other males.

no,i think platies and guppys can interbreed,and mollys and swordtails can interbreed.

no,i think platies and guppys can interbreed,and mollys and swordtails can interbreed.

They can't. Guppies and mollies are Poecilia and have 23 chromosomal pairs, but have been so interbred that these are no longer viable. Platies are Xiphophorus.

You might be able to cross a molly with the parent endler genus species but you will get sterile and potentially deformed fry. Not worth it.

Thanks all for the reply. I'm not wanting to interbreed them that's why I asked cause if they could I was going to stick to one breed lol. Well soo far I've had a couple batches of babies but haven't been able to keep alot alive due to being a newbie and getting my tank cycled properly...... I did this about 7 years ago and have forgotten everything bout setting up a tank. I found 6 little baby platty fry in my tank today but haven't been able to get anything else from all my girls. I want the babies but no one is popping :(. They are all huge and pregnant, so they r either dropping them and they r getting eaten before I even notice or they just don't wanna have them :(. I've got my tank cycled and hopefully everyone is happy and healthy and that's why I had new babies :). I have a ten gallon set up as a nursery just too afraid to move them cause I've already lost soo many. Any suggestions on how to get them to drop?

From what i have read if they get really stressed they will drop, be careful though because if they are not ready they will have premature babies. My molly had hers too early and they came out suuuper tiny and i basically had to poke them to live. Just make sure you have a breeder net or something for when they do drop.

Last week we discovered two baby Platy up in our floating plant. So far they are doing a good job with stayinh away from the other platys that are going after them. lol. We didnt realized one was so pregnant that shed have her babies soon. We assumed the rest got eaten or something else seeing as we only have two. We noticed another platy REALLY abou to pop. So as we are in the process of going to get a breeder tank of some sort, we wake up and she isnt pregnant anymore. So far I only see one little baby(sad), so we are definitely having things ready for the next batch! They are super cute

Back
Top Bottom