Platy died :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rodeo one

Aquarium Advice Addict
So any ideas why an adult Platy would just die? My tank is very healthy , great readings with API liquid test kit, 50 % WC every Sunday. I m a certified veterinary technician so I did a necropsy. Nothing in her intestinal tract ( had fed peas the day before, was worried she d eaten too much), no visible parasites. She was full of embryo that were undeveloped. Haven t had a male in the tank for weeks. All fish look great today including the other 4 Platys. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

So any ideas why an adult Platy would just die? My tank is very healthy , great readings with API liquid test kit, 50 % WC every Sunday. I m a certified veterinary technician so I did a necropsy. Nothing in her intestinal tract ( had fed peas the day before, was worried she d eaten too much), no visible parasites. She was full of embryo that were undeveloped. Haven t had a male in the tank for weeks. All fish look great today including the other 4 Platys. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Oh man... I'm sorry! :(

Wish I could help...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

The fact that you can do your own necropsy is way beyond what most of us can do to figure out an otherwise explained fish death. I've lost perfectly a heathy looking fish on occasion (no other signs and good water parameters) and never did know the reason why.

Thanks Convict & Cory. It just bites, ya know? They re totally dependent on us & it feels like I failed her somehow. I know everyone has to deal with this at some point, helps to have your support.

Thanks Convict & Cory. It just bites, ya know? They re totally dependent on us & it feels like I failed her somehow. I know everyone has to deal with this at some point, helps to have your support.

I understand and your right it stinks!! You didn't fail anyone! Don't you go thinking that! Come on! I know you and your a great person and fish keeper! It's not your fault. Get back on the horse and ride!! :)

I understand and your right it stinks!! You didn't fail anyone! Don't you go thinking that! Come on! I know you and your a great person and fish keeper! It's not your fault. Get back on the horse and ride!! :)

I second that. It's hard to lose one, but its not your fault. Hang in there!

I have noticed live bearing females have a somewhat high rate of random deaths I always put it up to problems with pregnancy but they reproduce like crazy so it evens out

Back
Top Bottom