Platy Immaculate Conception!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andiford

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys

I'm relatively new to fish keeping. We set up our 58L tank in April as an interest during lockdown.

We have 3 Platys; 1bumblebee, 1 mickey mouse and 1 golden. All of these we believe to be female as their anal fins (apologies if I get terminology wrong) are fan shaped.

We also have 5 Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnows. 3 males and 2 females. The males show mating behaviour and flailing of fins on a daily basis.

So in July we spotted 3 tiny fry hiding amongst the substrate. We assumed them to be surviving Minnow fry and thought any others must have been eaten by our greedy platy girls.

So these 3 fry are now about 3 months old and resemble tiny platys. Their behaviour, body shape, even their long poo habits lol. Is it possible they are actually Platy fry? I'm hearing Platys can hold onto their fry for months before releasing them. Could it be this?

2 weeks ago we spotted 3 more tiny fry.... Our tank is getting busier by the week. They are too small to tell whether they are minnows or platys.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

My memory the sperm can be held for several months so not a surprise (I’m a bit hazy on the details). No idea why as ime live bearers would breed in an old boot :)

Thanks Delapool. This makes sense. Could it be possible the fry could be kept in and released in multiple batches? The second 3 fry, born about 3 weeks ago, took us by surprise. Making us wonder if one of the platys has become male.

Back
Top Bottom