Platy lying on the bottom of gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owp

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 60L tank with 1 platy and 4 white cloud minnows. My platy has recently started to swim a lot slower and is now lying on the bottom of the gravel not coming up to eat. I checked the water parameters and the nitrite is 0 and ammonia is 0 and the tank temperature is 21 degrees celcius. Can anyone help?

Update: My platy isn't lying on the bottom but is lying on a rock in the tank because I have had to turn the filter off because the fish seems to have no strength and is being sucked into the filter.

Not a good idea to turn the filter off. The BB will soon start to die off causing at the very least a mini cycle. Since the noted fish is sick to the point that it can't swim i recomend that you net it out. Watch the other fish for similar symptoms. Good luck.

Not a good idea to turn the filter off. The BB will soon start to die off causing at the very least a mini cycle. Since the noted fish is sick to the point that it can't swim i recomend that you net it out. Watch the other fish for similar symptoms. Good luck.

Thank you for replying but it is not moving anymore at all so I have fished it out☹️ Could the illness now spread around to the other fish or could it just have been stress?

I think the most humane thing to do is put the fish out of its misery. Its important now to insure that the tankmates stay healthy. At this point It's especially important to make 25% WC in order to up the water quality. Hopefully use a gravel vac for a thorough cleaning. Every so often you are going experience this situation. Every morning at your LFS, employees scan the display tanks for the latest fatalities and net them out before customers arrive. With good feeding and regular tank maintenance most fish will survive several years, but remember we can't save them all.

Thanks very much for your help the fish has now passed away and I will do a normal 25% water change with my gravel vac and hopefully the white cloud minnows will be fine. I used to have two platties and the one before this one died in the same way however the water has always been fine and so have the other fish. The mountain minnows always seemed to beat the platy to the food but I tried to make sure it got enough.

It's likely that the platy probably contracted some type of intestinal bug while at the LFS. Not your fault.

Back
Top Bottom