Platy missing a patch of scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mossbonesoup

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I previously had a couple of platys, all girls, but they continued to have babies so I no longer have them, but i did keep one male baby since i read that they could be kept solo. My betta has been with platys the entire time I've had him and has never shown any aggression towards the remaining male platy. Recently, I was given a baby male Molly who is a very similar color to the platy, but a little smaller at the moment. A few days after putting him in, i noticed my platy was missing a large patch of scales. Do you think this is because of the baby molly? My betta? A parasite? Or could it be some kind of decoration in the tank? Thank you for any ideas or advice. I have not witnessed any nipping or aggression in my tank.

Information:
~What type of fish is afflicted?
Green Lantern Platy
~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
29 Gallons, has been set up for nearly 4 years
~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Fluval 307 canister filter
~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
5 fish, 1 mystery snail, 1 ghost shrimp. The fish are: albino bristlenose pleco (6 inches); bumblebee catfish (2 inches); Green Lantern Platy (1 inch max); Mixed breed Molly (1/2 inch - 3/4 inch); male samurai betta splendes (2-3 inches)
~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I do a water change and vacuum the gravel once a week and i remove 20% of the water
~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
I acclimated the new molly for 30 minutes. Ive had the platy, betta, catfish, and snail for a few months, and I've had the shrimp for about a year and the pleco for 3 years
~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
I did add new gravel and decor recently
~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently
I feed them bug bites and algae wafers

Attachments

• IMG_20240214_104855.jpg
    IMG_20240214_104855.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 8
That definitely looks like an injury more than nipping from a fish. Do you have any decorations that have sharp edges? Also, how large is the bumblebee catfish?

That definitely looks like an injury more than nipping from a fish. Do you have any decorations that have sharp edges? Also, how large is the bumblebee catfish?

The catfish is about 2 inches. I didnt think any of the decorations were sharp but maybe he got stuck somewhere? But I'm glad to hear you don't think it looks like it was caused by another fish

The catfish is about 2 inches. I didnt think any of the decorations were sharp but maybe he got stuck somewhere? But I'm glad to hear you don't think it looks like it was caused by another fish

It's " iffy" but the catfish is large enough to have taken a chunk out of him but again, it's unlikely because the shape of it is not really mouth shaped and there appears to be a deeper section in the wound which would suggest puncture injury vs biting injury.
You do need to keep an eye out for bacterial and/or fungal infection on that wound. If you see Fuzz, that's fungus. If you see redness/ bloodiness, that's bacterial and both would need to be treated in a separate hospital tank. (y)

It's " iffy" but the catfish is large enough to have taken a chunk out of him but again, it's unlikely because the shape of it is not really mouth shaped and there appears to be a deeper section in the wound which would suggest puncture injury vs biting injury.
You do need to keep an eye out for bacterial and/or fungal infection on that wound. If you see Fuzz, that's fungus. If you see redness/ bloodiness, that's bacterial and both would need to be treated in a separate hospital tank. (y)

Okay, thank you! I started treatment with api melafix yesterday and he already looks way better so hopefully he will continue to improve :)

Back
Top Bottom