Platy Prego?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

My platy might be pregnant. We just noticed her belly is a lot bigger than the other females. I have a 5 gallon Hospital Tank cycled on standby. When should I move her and how long until fry? How long until she is moved away from fry?

Attachments

• 1411948862947.jpg
    1411948862947.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 49
Her belly will get significantly larger and eventually you will see a white dot between her fins, that is when she is ready and will be a day or 2 away. their normal cycle of pregnancy is averaged around 28 days. She looks to be a little over a week away. Maybe closer to 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How could I forgot the "squaring off" of the belly! That's another good incicator. You can Google pictures of that

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi,

My platy might be pregnant. We just noticed her belly is a lot bigger than the other females. I have a 5 gallon Hospital Tank cycled on standby. When should I move her and how long until fry? How long until she is moved away from fry?

My platys (one now deceased) have been pregnant many times. The first time was a complete surprise to me. I noticed she was darting around the aquarium and moving her body stiffly in a sort of back and forth motion. She seemed as though she was constipated. A couple of days prior to that, she was hanging out by herself in a vertical position.

I got worried and quickly moved her to my QT thinking I needed to treat her for bloat or something. I guess the move stressed her because all of a sudden I saw what looked like a poop starting and then several quick spurts of a pinkish hue. Upon closer look, I saw she was giving birth. I also knew she'd eat her babies if they weren't separated so I literally went fishing and removed all the fry and put in a separate container. I was lucky because a girl that works at my lfs was willing to take all 20 for her own tank.

Since then, I've learned to recognize the signs in my own fish. I didn't want to be on hyper alert and fishing again, so I got a little plastic breeder thing to put in the tank where you put the mom and under it are a bunch of small slats for the fry to slip through - thus separating the mom from the babies.

A lot of people don't like breeding tanks or nets, I have found it helpful. I have tried giving the fry away, but no one wants any. Currently they are in my 5 gallon QT until I figure out what to do and at the same time I cycled a 14 gallon in case I can't do anything. It is really important to cover the filter intake valve with nylon wherever you store the fish, otherwise they get sucked in.

Hope this helps a little.

Back
Top Bottom