Platy problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
I ve got a 10 gallon tank,fully cycled and on weekly water change schedule. The filter is aqua-tech 5-15 and i have 4 glofish and 2 female platys in my tank.
Now,my female sunburst platy and all 4 glofish seem to be perfectly fine..happy and healthy! But my female mickey mouse platy (she is the newest addition to my tank,added less than a week ago) is the problem now.
She was fine until before 2 days..for 2 days now she is often coming to the surface of the water and does stays there for a while(she stays like that for more than 5 mins if she is pooping,otherwise its just around 5 seconds)
I first thought it might be the ''new tank syndrome'' or ammonia levels,but the fact that my other platy and glofish are perfectly normal (they dont go near the surface at all,they are all good middle swimmers,except the time they search for food in gravel)will eliminate any ammonia issues,i hope! I still tested and found-
Amm- zero
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- 5ppm
I then thought maybe she is not getting enough oxygen from the water since i did not change it after i bought her,i do my water changes every friday and i bought her last saturday. So i did a pwc wednesday evening for her and she looked good for a while..but the next day she went back to her habit of going to the surface often and does this weird thing which my friend says looks like she is drinking the water there or taking a quick breath?!
I ve been noticing her for 2 days now,her breathing seems normal otherwise(no difficulty or shallow breathing noticeable) and i m feeding them color enhancer flakes..so what do u think might be her problem?
She gets along well with the other platy and the glofish never bother any of them,she eats well and swims well..so i m confused as to what might her problem be?? :huh:
Pls give me some of ur opinions as to what i can do next..
:thanks: :fish2:

It might be kind of lonely (needs a mate ) or put a school of 5 or more platies of different genders in your tank .

gavin00 said:
It might be kind of lonely (needs a mate ) or put a school of 5 or more platies of different genders in your tank .

I have a 1 male Mickey mouse and 1 female Mickey mouse and they rarely ever leave each others side. Maybe she does want a boyfriend?

Is she really fat? Maybe she is pregnant from a male at the LFS and is going to give birth soon? I really am just shooting in the dark on this but it was an idea I just had.

Back
Top Bottom