Platy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coeurloyal81

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone.

I have a community tank which includes 2 female and 1 male platys. I'm pretty certain that the females are pregnant although I can't see a gravis spot on either of them because of their colouring.

From everything I have read online it appears that my one platy might be getting ready to give birth. She is hiding in the corner with my plants and not moving too much.

My question is that the male platy seems to be hanging out in the corner with her. She will occasionally chase him out of there but mostly they just hang out. Is this normal? Is the male "bugging" her, or is he serving a purpose?

Should I separate her or him? (I would prefer not to although I know this means most / all of the fry will get eaten)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I sounds like she is already very stressed, don't stress her further by moving her. If you want the fry to survive, move them to a safe place as soon as they're born. I hope this helps!

You should probably move the male and maybe even the other female so the she can be by herself in her normal surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom