Please Advice me on Plants for Coral Sand Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am new in this hobby.

Three months ago I purchased a 20 gallon high tank from a local pet store.

My tank looked exactly like this when I bought it.

newaqua.jpg

I am keeping a few swordtails in it.

Last month, I decided that I do not like the look of the plastic plant, and decided to replace it with real plants.

The light is 2x24 watt. 1 blue and 1 white PL light. So I think it should be bright enough.

The problem is I have coral sand substrate. And from what I read, this is not a good substrate for the planted tank.

But I decided to try it anyway. I started with Java Fern and Anacharis 1 month ago. So far they have been doing fine.

Last week, I put in Corkscrew Vallisneria and Ludwigia (not sure which species). Ludwigia is pretty much dead, and vallisneria is struggling, but may pull through.

Now, I am eyeing for the sagittaria subulata, and ludwigia repens. And perhaps hornwort because I heard that this grow fast, even in hard water.
I am also thinking about attaching java moss to that white rock.

Do you think I have a chance to keep these plants alive ?
Is it possible to have a heavily planted tank with coral sand substrate ?
What kind of fertilizer should I use? Do I need root sticks on coral sand , or liquid works better?

Please advice me on this.

:thanks:

My questions had been answered somewhere else.

Perhaps the moderator would like to delete this post so that people do not waste their time answering this again.

regards,
TAN

Back
Top Bottom