Please check my math.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I'm probably beating this thing to death, but I really just want to understand what I'm doing rather then just following a recipe.

Using Chucks calculator I have come up with these values:

I'll just take Potassium as an example.

Mixing a solution of 10 tsp into 500 ml of water gives me a solution. And if I add 1 ml of this solution to a 29 gallon tank it will raise the concentration of K by .49 ppm.

Now, as far as dosing this into the tank. If my target is 20 ppm in the tank, and for this explanation we say that there is 0 ppm in the tank, should I add 41ml (20ppm/.49ppm = 40.81) three times a week? Or am I adding 13.6 ml three times a week (1/3)?

You would add 41 mls three times a week, if 20 PPM K was your target. Assuming you have high-light, CO2 and a high plant mass. ie EI dosing

If you are adding KNO3, you also have to take into account the K from this aswell.

If you are adding KNO3, you also have to take into account the K from this aswell.

THANK YOU!!!!!

That info right there was the missing link. Reading some of the recipes in other threads I just could not rationalize some of the recommended doses.

I have to go and find a way to put some of this hair back in my head now.

Thanks again.

EDIT:

I found a spreadsheet from Tom Barr that helps with this calculation too. Man, I must have spent half the day trying to find a definitive answer on the net about this. None of the articles made this clear to me in the least.

So I don't know if I was just getting tunnel vision because of frustration, or maybe this might be worth spelling out a little more in an article?

I don't recommend a dosing solution for potassium. You dose too much, too often, to make a solution worth your while.

Just add a half teaspoon to the new tank water after a water change (or whatever dry amount gives you 15ppm in 29gal of water).

Back
Top Bottom