Please explain the unexplainable (at least for me).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Dai Phan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

Many of you are probably aware of my earlier posts about my tank a few months back. At this time, the tank is about 4 months old and has a mixture of corals (soft) and fish. All the corals are thriving and there are purple algea appearing everywhere. Nitrate = almost zero, Nitrite=0, Ammonia=0 and Ph=8, calcium=375. Last week, one of my green chromis disappeared and presumed dead. All 5 other chromis are thriving. Last week I bought a salfin tank that has been dealer tank for two weeks. He came home and after a few days quarrel with my YT, they got along well by staying out of each other' way. This morning, he is no where to be found and after much looking, I saw him sulking behind the rocks. Just last night he was out and eating and looking fine. I checked water chemistry and it is fine. I am sure he will be dead when I get home tonight. What is the probably cause for the dead of the chromis and the poor state with the Salfin tang?

Tank=125, ref,sump,protein skimmer.
Fish= YT, 5 green chromis, 2 cardinals, yellow blenny, 2 tomato clowns, salfin tang.

Thank you. Dai Phan

i had a 125 once but downgraded... ive had multiple chromis disappearing acts.. it just happens and youll probably never find the body so dont worry about it... the sailfin could be a number of things, maybe a parasite inside of the gills that you cant see. who knows could have been internally hurt from the yellow tang in the quarrels. best of luck

A sailfin and a yellow are in the same family and probably should not reside in the same tank. Not saying they can't but they will most likely fight. I have a 180 and I have been hesitant to add a yellow in with my sailfin. The sailfin does great with the yellow eye kole though. Stress can do in a fish very quickly.

On chromis, I have seen people try and school them and it seems as if they always end up with 1 or 2. The runts will eventually not get enough food or be picked on.

Back
Top Bottom