Please HELP! Sick Green Terror

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carriepatterson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My GT started losing his color yesterday. He suddenly looks very pale. He also seems to be "gasping". His belly seems slightly bloated and he has some white/translucent stringy stool hanging out.

He is in a 120g with 3 tinfoils and a plecco who are all healthy.

Tested the water last night:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrates 0ppm (yellow color on API master kit)

Please help me! Any ideas of what could be making him sick? Parasite? What can I do to treat him?

Thanks!

I'm no expert in cichlids what so ever but it may be helpful for others if you post some pictures of him if you can and maybe go into a little detail..? How long has your tank been up and running? When did you Get the fish? What's your filtration?, Has the fish been eating and if so what is his feeding schedule like?

did you just preform a water change? Change anything in his diet? temperature changes or anything else that could have shocked him?

Just a little more background info. He is about 7-8 years old. In 110g with a rena xp3 filter. I do 30% water changes once a week. He lived in a 55g aquarium for most of his life, moved him to the 110g a little over a month ago. That is pretty much all I can think of as far as big changes. I feed him spectra cichlid formula. I give him blood worms 1-2 times a week.

He is currently in a hospital tank and I'm treating him with API general cure. He is getting noticeably more bloated with long strings of white feces. I'm thinking its a parasite. I don't think he'll make it through the night as he seems lethargic and pale :( Is there anything else I can do for him? Any insights as to what might have caused this? Are my other fish at risk?

thanks guys!

Do think he may have a blockage? Or dropsy? And renal failure? If so probably to late if he does have parasites probably I would think has been there a while has he lost weight? The only thing I can think is maybe drop the temp some to give time for the antibiotics to work.. If he has a blockage have you tried feeding a pea which is a natural laxative if it is a blockage and may help open him up?

Back
Top Bottom