Please help! What is going on with my common pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aliek4459

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just recently put my 6 yr old 13” common Pleco named Mr.Gil in a new tank 55 gallon tank. He’s turning white, barely eating besides a little seaweed only twice in 4 days since I moved him in there. He normally loves seaweed, wafers, zucchini, and broccoli but will only eat a little seaweed. In his new tank he has lights but I’ve only left on the blue lights during the day and at night shut out all lights off. Could the new blue light cause him to turn white and lose his patterns because of the new lighting and environment or is it from stress and his loss of appetite?

Common pleco

Yes the tank is cycled numbers are good. He was in a small tank and is now in a big one and he won’t come out of his log, is turning white, and won’t eat except for that small about of seaweed. He won’t even come out of his log except once in a while I hear him jump to the top then goes back in the log. He’s looking really thin and I’m getting very worried. I’ve only seen him on his driftwood once in 6 days he’s been in his new tank. What should I do?

Mr.Gil

Yes that’s the only time he’ll eat the seaweed but won’t touch the wafers or veggies. Do you think it could be bc of lack of bacteria in the gravel bc his old tank was in there with him for years even though I vacuumed ever few months. I don’t want to put other fish bc he’s killed them all in the past and was very aggressive and seems to be happy alone especially bc the last fish I put in with him was over 3 years ago. Now he’s in a much bigger tank even though from what I’ve been reading I should have gotten 75 gallon but for now he doesn’t even know what to do with the 55 gallons of water so we’ll deal with that when he adjusts to this one first. Is there anything more I can do to try and get him to eat? I’m stressing 24/7 about him and he’ll barely come out of his log. Should I take the log out so he has to explore?

It all sounds like stress to me. I dont think removing the log and causing more stress will help.

Possibly an internal parasite, but as it happened to occur as you moved the fish i would go with stress of the move. How did you acclimate the fish to the new tanks water?

Just to clear things up, can you post actual test results rather than just say parameters are good? What has been your water change schedule since the pleco has been in its tank?

Have you tried feeding more of what the fish is eating? Or is it just eating a little and leaving the rest?

Did your old tank have lights? It is quite common for fishes colouration to wash out when the lights go out at night. Now that your fish is only under blue light and not white light that could explain the loss of colour.

Back
Top Bottom