Please identify this alien

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thedon42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. Just discovered this hitchhiker in my daughter's 15 gallon. We bought a couple of new plants about 2 weeks ago so this snail must have snuck in. What is it ? It moves faster than other snails I am familiar with and looks like an alien. ?

Attachments

• 20220213_101841.jpg
    20220213_101841.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 27
Looks like it could be a young mystery or ramshorn snail of some sorts? It is very common to get sneaky snails when getting aquarium plants; happens all the time when I get new plants! I wouldn't worry about it though, typically snails won't harm anything in the tank. :)

(Anyone is welcome to correct me if I am wrong)!

I thought it might be a ramshorn . He's just really strange looking right now. ?

Leopard Ramshorn. Try not to over feed the fish. That encourages them to breed more.

The egg sacks are little clearish globs around the size of a pencil eraser around. Yo can remove them if you see them on the glass or plant leaves, etc. I love them.

Looks like it could be a young mystery or ramshorn snail of some sorts? It is very common to get sneaky snails when getting aquarium plants; happens all the time when I get new plants! I wouldn't worry about it though, typically snails won't harm anything in the tank. :)

(Anyone is welcome to correct me if I am wrong)!
As AquaAngelfish said, snails are typically rather harmless.
Just be sure to watch out for the small brown conical-shelled ones (Trumpet Snails); they'll quickly start eating your plants.

Trumpet snails, like MTS / Malaysian Trumpet snails commonly found living in and near the substrate, although they can be found on the glass and stones, in my tanks have never eaten plants.

Ramshorn snails, Mystery snails, Rabbit aka Poso snails and Nerite snails would eat dying plants /leaves and work as a good clean up crew.

Thanks everyone. We had Nerite snails in my bigger tank and loved them. This guy is really cool and leopard is a bonus. But I will be careful with feeding. ?

Agreed, leopard ramshorn. It's a pretty variant. The spottiness will fade with time and it will become more its adult color (looks like blue). They are algae eaters, which is good; as mentioned above, they can also eat plants and they reproduce quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom