Please interpret my water testing 2 weeks in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
First tank in a while. 29 gallon with 9 zebra danios. The tank is an aqueon starter kit (aqueon HOB filter, submersible heater and fluorescent lighting). CaribSea supernaturals substrate, driftwood and plastic plants. Started off with some bacteria in a bottle, but no old filter medium.

Through reading subsequent to getting the fish, I have learned more about the cycle. Didn't know much about this cycling stuff, but have learned a bit through reading over the past couple of weeks and am trying to get on the right track.

Yesterday was day 12 of fish in tank. I did a 20% water change. This was the first change as I was told at the fish store to not do any during the cycle.

I purchased water testing supplies today (API Master Kit) and tested ammonia and nitrites.

Ammonia - 0.5 ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrates (just for fun) - 0

Did a 50% water change

I was a little surprised that I don't have nitrites, yet, based on some of the cycling timelines I have referenced. If these results indicate slow progress (as I interpret), what would be some possible reasons? Feeding too small of an amount? Biomass too small?

Thanks in advance

For 12 days I wouldn't worry yet; it can take 2-3 weeks for the nitrites to show up. Every tank is different and timelines vary. Just keep testing and keep ammonia <.25 ideally, you'll get nitrites eventually. Also water changes won't harm the cycle (as long as you dechlorinate the water) and are needed to keep the fish safe from toxins until the tank cycles, so I would ignore that advice. :) Good luck.

What bottled bacteria did you use, maybe it was actually pretty sweet, but you tank still needs a few more ammonia eaters?

Even though you didn't know about the cycle stuff, your in pretty good shape. Water changes are good, especially during fish in cycles, because the fish will continue to add ammonia. At .50 ammonia, the fish begin to decline in health, so water changes are good. Keep asking questions, post some photos, were here to help.

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

Water changes are good if your toxic levels get to high but if they are ok I wouldn't do them. While water changes surely don't hurt a cycle process they do slow them down a good bit.

Ahhh, I wish I remember the brand of the bacteria. It was a small, white bottle, the entire contents of which treated my 30 gallons. It cost around $5.00. I'm sure that isn't enough info, but it's all I've got. What is the best brand and do people continue to use it during water changes while cycling?

I was nearing the end of my fish in cycle, and I put in some quick start. It took 2 doses (10mls each), and it has really helped finish my cycle quickly. Not sure how it would work from the beginning, buy your ammonia is way less than mine was. Mine was at 4ppm the first time I tested a little less than a week ago! It's now less than .25ppm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom