Please make me feel a little better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I think I got a little impatient yesterday, I hope I didn't doom my tank.

I have a 72G that has two wrasses and a yellow watchman goby in it. I bought a Sailfin Tang at the LFS yesterday that I have been watching for the past 4 weeks. I understand that this tank will not be big enough for him in the long run, but the 150G is being set up in October and he will be transferred there. Also, given the tank mates, he will have a ton of room and he's only about 3" right now.

Anyway, he looked great in the store and I have had a lot of success with my fish from this LFS. However, I did not QT this fish as I usually do because I am going out of town for a week in 2 weeks and do not trust anyone to keep up with the params in a QT while I'm gone. So into the main tank he went. So far, all is good. All I keep thinking about is how prone Tangs are to ich.

Am I doomed for ich? How worried should I be????

tripper

Just keep an eye on the fish. Make sure it is eating and not showing signs of stress. If you do not see signs of ick in a week, you may be in the clear. Good luck with the new addition.

don't sweat it. a lot of people never QT fish and they are okay.

Keep him really well fed for the next 2 weeks. Make sure to soak anything he eats in garlic and selcon... heavily. Hang nori in the tank every day (if he won't eat one kind buy another). Keep your temperature closer to 78 than 86 :) Did you keep the lights off for a while after you added him?

Hopefully with all of that going for him he won't become symptomatic.

Good luck (though I have to admit I have a great fear of tangs and ich).

So far so good. I always soak the food in garlic and Selcon, so that should help and I have Nori on a clip in the tank. When I acclimated him I left the lights off for the night and all day today. I am doing my best to minimize stress.

Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom