Pleco Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelWings

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a newly acquired pleco that was rehomed from a smaller tank. He is about 6 or 7 inches long, probably stunted after being in a way too small tank for years, and is now in a bowfront 46gal, with 5 goldies. The tank has been established for several years and is very stable.

The odd part is that the pleco keeps popping up out of the water and head butting the cover over the tank. I don't know if he's trying to jump out, or if it's a problem, or if this is normal pleco behavior. He does it repeat like he's on a pogo stock or something, then he'll rest for a bit, then does it again in a little while. Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks for your help.

I have a newly acquired pleco that was rehomed from a smaller tank. He is about 6 or 7 inches long, probably stunted after being in a way too small tank for years, and is now in a bowfront 46gal, with 5 goldies. The tank has been established for several years and is very stable.

The odd part is that the pleco keeps popping up out of the water and head butting the cover over the tank. I don't know if he's trying to jump out, or if it's a problem, or if this is normal pleco behavior. He does it repeat like he's on a pogo stock or something, then he'll rest for a bit, then does it again in a little while. Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks for your help.

Have you test water parameters?

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20
pH = 7.6

The tank is always stable, water changes are frequent and thorough since the tank has messy goldies. I'm not really worried about water quality, I'm more curious if this behavior is experienced with any other pleco keepers?

I have 2 bristle nose plecs and I've never known mine to do anything like that, sorry

Mine has done that before. He doesn't hit the top cover but I've seen the pogo thing before. He doesn't do it often but i think it has spmething to do with high nitrates at least with mine. Your levels look pretty good but in my opinion you are overstocked. It will be very hard to keep your nitrates below 5 ppm. Do you have a heater in there?

I have the same "problem" In my 75 gal.
1- common pleco(going to friend soon)11-12in
1-hi-fin spotted pleco 8-9in
5-kohli loaches 3.5in
6-assorted cories all 1.5in(2-emerald green. 2-albino. 2-peppered)

Both of the plecos do this!! Every 2min or so I hear a large splooish!! And a bang!!! From them hitting the lid! As long as you have lids I wouldn't worry about it! In the beginning I left my lid open and 2 min later...he was on the floor. He lived tho so I'm happy!!!

Back
Top Bottom