Pleco hunt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayray99jp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank with 4 longfin blue danios 5 goldfish and im in search of a nice pleco......ive herd of clown plecos and zebra plecos just wanted some advice on a good pleco that will fit good filtration and a good amount of hiding places and logs for coverage all opinions are welcome

Welcome and you've got a double thread same topic. If you ask a Mod they'll delete the second thread for you.

Still can't fit anything till the GF move out.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plecos are usually very young when you see them for sale. At their juvenile size they might do well in a tank that size, but usually they require a 55g tank minimum as they grow. If you are able to upgrade down the road you might be ok, but don't plan to keep a pleco in a 20g for too long or you will run into a lot of problems. Although they are great for cleaning up algae and extra food at the bottom of the tank, they produce a surprising amount of waste (even as little guys) and you will be amazed at how often you will need to clean up after them.

Plecos love (most need) driftwood. They love places to hide all over the tank. I've got a young pleco in a 55g that loves to venture all over the driftwood, plants, heater, filter intake, etc. He often disappears into a little cave-like hole in one of my driftwood pieces. They like to have lots of places to explore and to have some privacy.

As far as filtration, plan to have A LOT. If you have a 20g, you'll want to get a filter rated for something more like 40g. It's always good to have more filtration than what is "required" for your tank size, regardless of what fish you keep.

By the way... I believe you may have already overstocked your tank. Goldfish also need a much larger tank than most people think. I don't keep goldfish but if I'm not mistaken you need to have closer to 30g for one or two goldfish. Plus, they are coldwater fish while danios and plecos are tropical. Very different requirements. So before you add ANY more fish I would recommend moving your goldfish into their own tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could do 3+ otos.

Not with Goldfish. Too much Ammonia.
Otos need planted tanks, CLEAN water and mature stable conditions and biofilm. Plus it would still be mixing tropical and Coldwater fish.

If there is Algae in the tank you can easily control it by
Limiting light using a timer. Lights on only 6-8 hrs daily. No sunlight hitting tank.

Don't overfeed.

Gravel vac unless it's planted.

Water changes.

Clean tanks with good water and the correct amount of light don't usually have Algae issues.

If the OP just wants to add another fish, I would politely ask them to research the needs of the fish they already have.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419813692.554225.jpg

Comet Goldfish need ponds, they hit 12" or more.

Fancy GF bare minimum is 20g per fish IME. More is better.

This is a typical petstore Fancy next to an adult of same type. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419813804.580569.jpg

Goldfish produce a lot of waste.

Yours should be in 100g with filtration for 400g to have a chance to grow and thrive. That's if they are Fancies. Comets...a pond is best.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A Clown or Zebra would work in a 20 long (30" x 12" footprint). Not sure I'd want to do either in a tank less than 30" in length.

And, yes, definitely over-filter. For a small pleco in a 20 or 30 gallon tank, I'd probably be inclined to do an AquaClear 70 or something equvalent. And be prepared to clean that thing at least once a month.

Back
Top Bottom